Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM

Default Please help me understand how Core Audio Manager works with other applications

I am having a big problem with my audio not syncing with video being played in QuickTime Player. I have created QT movies in Final Cut Pro that play fine on other computers, but not on my Mac Pro that has my Pro Tools HD Native installation.

I just opened DigiDesign Core Audio Manager and it says:
Connected @ 44.1K, 32 In/32 Out, Buffer Size 512

Does the application using Core Audio (QuickTime, Final Cut Pro, Wave Editor, etc.) set the sample rate in Core Audio? It doesn't seem like it in my case because the sample rate of the QuickTime Movie is 48K (I know because I created the movie in Final Cut Pro).

My Pro Tools system clocking is set up with an external clock:
Lavry Gold A/D --> Digital I/O #1 --> Digital I/O #2, with Lavry Gold the master clock and Digital I/O #1 as the Loop Master. The Digital I/O's feed Lavry DAC's. At the moment the sample rate set on the Lavry Gold is set at 48K.

How is sample rate made to be consistent when:
(1) Pro Tools is off
(2) an application like QuickTime is sending audio thru Core Audio --> Native card --> Digital I/O --> Lavry Blue --> speakers?
(3) I have an external master clock?

As you can tell, I am guessing the sync problem is related to sample rate, although I may be wrong.

Please help me understand how the Core Audio/Native card/Digital I/O's system functions.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Default Please help me understand how Core Audio Manager works with other applications

Sorry to be posting over here, but nobody can help me in the Native forum. My many years with a TDM system has earned me one more post in my old home.

I am having a big problem with my audio not syncing with video being played in QuickTime Player. I have created QT movies in Final Cut Pro that play fine on other computers, but not on my Mac Pro that has my Pro Tools HD Native installation.

I just opened DigiDesign Core Audio Manager and it says:
Connected @ 44.1K, 32 In/32 Out, Buffer Size 512

Does the application using Core Audio (QuickTime, Final Cut Pro, Wave Editor, etc.) set the sample rate in Core Audio? It doesn't seem like it in my case because the sample rate of the QuickTime Movie is 48K (I know because I created the movie in Final Cut Pro).

My Pro Tools system clocking is set up with an external clock:
Lavry Gold A/D --> Digital I/O #1 --> Digital I/O #2, with Lavry Gold the master clock and Digital I/O #1 as the Loop Master. The Digital I/O's feed Lavry DAC's. At the moment the sample rate set on the Lavry Gold is set at 48K.

How is sample rate made to be consistent when:
(1) Pro Tools is off
(2) an application like QuickTime is sending audio thru Core Audio --> Native card --> Digital I/O --> Lavry Blue --> speakers?
(3) I have an external master clock?

As you can tell, I am guessing the sync problem is related to sample rate, although I may be wrong.

Please help me understand how the Core Audio/Native card/Digital I/O's system functions.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 AM

Default Re: Please help me understand how Core Audio Manager works with other applications

Well, I'll post this question in the TDM forum, since it looks like nobody over here can help.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Please help me understand how Core Audio Manager works with other applications

So, nobody can help on this?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 PM

Where are you located?

Do you have the ability to get a remote connection up and running?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
Where are you located?

Do you have the ability to get a remote connection up and running?
I am in Oregon. What would I need to do that?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM

There are many ways
OSX screensharing, Timbuktu, VNC, to name 3
2 are already part of OSX so no purchase required

Goggle will show you how to enable screensharing, or VNC in OSX if you search

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 04-04-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
There are many ways
OSX screensharing, Timbuktu, VNC, to name 3
2 are already part of OSX so no purchase required

Goggle will show you how to enable screensharing, or VNC in OSX if you search
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'm trying to get ready to shoot a video of a band tonight so not much time.

For now, let me describe what I did today and see if you can see a solution from this information.

I did the following:
(1) Uninstalled Pro Tools
(2) Installed Pro Tools 9.0 from my installation disk
(3) I did not take the time to upgrade to 9.0.3, for now
(4) Opened Pro Tools
(5) Opened a 48k/24 session
(6) Setup --> Playback Engine. I see Current Engine = Pro Tools/HD Native, so this looks good
(8) Setup --> Hardware. I see Internal, 48K. I am using Internal for now rather than External clock, to avoid introducing a possible problem. So this is OK.
(9) Played a clip in the session and it played fine.
(10) Closed Pro Tools
(11) Macintosh HD --> Applications --> Digidesign --> Digi CoreAudio Manager. When I opened this, it said:
- Pro Tools/HD Native
- Connected @ 44.1k
- Channels: 32 In/32 Out
- Buffer Size: 512
I opened the HW Setup from the Digi CoreAudio Manager, and it said:
Internal, 44.1K. This is the only sample rate it would let me select.
(12) I closed Digi CoreAudio Manager.
(13) I opened Pro Tools again, then Setup --> Hardware. Now Hardware Setup shows 44.1K, and it won't let me change it.

So, I made the correct setup in Pro Tools and a session worked fine. But the Digi CoreAudio Manager is not using the correct sample rate..........it is locked in to 44.1K, rather than 48K.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled the Digi CoreAudio Manager, because my understanding is that I should not install a stand-alone Manager, but rather use the Manager included in the Pro Tools install.

So, the problem seems to be with the Digi CoreAudio Manager. Since I just reinstalled Pro Tools 9.0 a few minutes ago, I don't see how the Manager became corrupted somehow in that time.

Any advice, based on this test?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:09 PM

Well, here is some more data.
- I trashed QuickTime and reinstalled QuickTime 7.
- I opened it, played the problem videos..........and they all were in sync.
- I opened Digi CoreAudio Manager, and it said "Connected @ 44.1K", same as before.

I don't know which of the many steps I did solved the sync problem, nor do I know how long it will last.

However, I do know that the videos are all at 48K because I created them in Final Cut Pro X. So, why is Digi CoreAudio Manager saying they are playing at 44.1K? I thought QuickTime plays at the sample rate of the video it is playing..........I'll have to go to Apple Discussions and ask, I guess.

Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
I am sure sick of these videos.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:03 PM

Yeah, I posted a similar thread about my experiences with this program as well. In HW Setup, once PT is off, you should be able to manually set the sample rate. Try to set the clock as internal and choose 48kHz.

Beyond that, I am scared to suggest any other options, because I've run into serious bugs with this program. I am also at a loss for how this program works as well. I'm sure you probably tried this, but if not I hope this is helpful.