Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Re: 2 DIGI001 on same PC?

For a reasons known only to Digidesign, no matter what you use is 1/4 frame accuracy. It means 400 samples before or after, each time you play. Even if you use wordclock2spdif or ADAT optical you still have to use MTC as adress reference. Other DUC users tested it. Buy TDM system!
Old 02-19-2001, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaphoron:
If you have a second computer you can slave PTLE to incoming MTC from Cakewalk and sync them up. Just remember that PTLE only does trigger sync so things can get messy after a while. I have been using MTC to sync my two computers running PTLE but I am not having as much luck as I was hoping for. I want to test some more before I go and say bad things about PTLE. I also want to get 5.1 and test with that to see if that changes anything.

Jason
Why don't you use the S/PDif OUT of Digi001 System 1 to the S/PDif INPUT of the Digi001 system 2? Then Set Digi001 System 2 to "Sync Mode" : S/PDIF (RCA) in Hardware Setup.
From what I understand about Sp/dif (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the sync should be extreamly accurate. Of course you still have to set up MTC for triggering,etc...
Please let me know how it goes. Eddie

[This message has been edited by Capeach (edited February 19, 2001).]
Old 02-19-2001, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PAM:

Im using the digi as master to my TC-gear using the sp/dif, - thats working ok.

PAM

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is "TC-gear" ? Thank you.
Old 02-19-2001, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberstudio:
For a reasons known only to Digidesign, no matter what you use is 1/4 frame accuracy. It means 400 samples before or after, each time you play. Even if you use wordclock2spdif or ADAT optical you still have to use MTC as adress reference. Other DUC users tested it. Buy TDM system!
What is 1/4 frame accuracy in reference to? Are you saying that even if using wordclock2spdif or Adat optical that Syncing the Digi001 will not be accurate to any device? Thanks. Eddie.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:17 PM

There's one big drawback that nobody's mentioned. If you put two digi's in one computer, you still have only one processor trying to process all of the effects information. Would be much better to just put the second one in it's own computer and you'd also have more effects. With just my one digi, it gets really crucial around that 3rd digiverb insert.

[This message has been edited by Mackie (edited February 20, 2001).]
Old 02-20-2001, 06:38 PM

I guess it is all what you are going for; if you add another computer to the setup, you gain processing power, but it costs extra money and complexity. And those extra D-Verbs you add can only affect the tracks on that particular box--although this is probably not an issue when using 6 or 7 verbs. Being able to cue up 2 digis in one box adds channels without adding the extra cost of a box--which is personally what I am interested in. Recording live with 24 tracks is more of issue with me

The bottom line (for me anyway) is that the "BOX" will continue to increase in power--whereas the "INTERFACE" will not.

So, has anyone tried yet? ha ha ha.

Just my $2 worth,

John Dells.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capeach:
What is 1/4 frame accuracy in reference to? Are you saying that even if using wordclock2spdif or Adat optical that Syncing the Digi001 will not be accurate to any device? Thanks. Eddie.
Sync mode tells: O.K we are going the same speed because we use the same sample rate (from the same clock source). MTC tells: We meet @ that point. Digidesign and 001 users measured that you can not archive sample accurate sync using our beloved 001.
Old 02-21-2001, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capeach:

Excuse me for my ignorance but what is "TC-gear" ? Thank you.
Sorry.. TCE Finalizer, reverb, ect..

PAM

[This message has been edited by PAM (edited February 21, 2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cyberstudio:
Sync mode tells: O.K we are going the same speed because we use the same sample rate (from the same clock source). MTC tells: We meet @ that point. Digidesign and 001 users measured that you can not archive sample accurate sync using our beloved 001.
Perfection is what we all strive for of course. Is it the 001 that's not sample accurate or is it a software limitation of PTs LE? What about using Logic Audio? (Not that we want to change at this point) I've heard Logic is supporting alot of features on the 001 that are not avalible in PT's LE (Like more tracks, other plugin standards, etc). Maybe using Logic Audio supports better syncing?
In simple terms, how accurate is the 001 using the Spdif or optical IN for sync mode with PTs LE? Not sample accurate? Would the 001 match up every second or two so the ear couldn't hear it? Or are we talking 10 and 15 millisec drifts? I don't imagine ADAT's synced up to one another are sample accurate either are they? If we are talking as accurate as Adats syncing to one another then I can live with that.
On a seperate note, Rather than slaving the 001 & PTs LT, wouldn't it be possible to send MTC, MMC and the Spdif OUT of the 001 to other external devices that except external clock input? wouldn't these external units be able to sync to the 001 at sample accuracy? If they are sample accurate (or atleast more accurate then the 001's chasing), aren't there time code "external converters" that output sync at different mediums so that most other devices (such as ADATs, etc...) could chase acturately? Once again thank you all for any info!

[This message has been edited by Capeach (edited February 22, 2001).]
Old 02-22-2001, 01:25 PM

Not sure how to correctly ask this question - hopefully someone will understand my ramble.

Can someone go more into synching 2 units via the S/PDiF in/out? Having never had a need to learn much about S/PDiF, I'm curious how it would work. Say 8 audio inputs are routed to 001 #2 then sent (how does one do this??) S/PDiF to 001 #1. Would Pro Tools have a utility to split the 8 tracks coming in S/PDiF into tracks 9-16? How does this work?