Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2001, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Asio Drivers For PC Petition

Count me in!!!

Old 02-14-2001, 02:07 AM

Well, I have lots of money invested in plugins and vst instruments that I can only use in Cubase. Not only that, I need to see names of my patches when I am sequencing. I want names instead of numbers. Maybe someday I will give up Cubase, but I still use it. People are allowed to have opinions and that is mine. Besides, even Hans Zimmer uses Cubase to sequence his music.

Jason
Old 02-14-2001, 05:32 AM

Count me in
Old 02-17-2001, 05:56 PM

You have a point there. Harsh discovery to see those plugins becoming useless in a wink. Something I forgot in my rant.
Missing the Asio-driver is anyway something that can only be accepted, because I don't see how Steinberg and Digidesign will ever come to an agreement.
Expensive as our musical aspirations are, unpleasant discoveries like this will probably appear more than once. But once having come to an acceptable PT setup (including plugins & peripherals), you'll find yourself mastering two programs, although you'll have to let Pro Tools play the leading role if you want to keep on fully using the 001. I certainly will, considering the 'bounce to disk'-option and the digital outputs and more. For the time being, you'll have to find your workaround.
Better not sell the 001 & PT, it'll be hard to find an equivalent.

Good luck,

Voideco

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:40 PM

The real bite on this is that there's really no way to know what the Digi01 will and will not work with before you buy it. This site doesn't exactly proclaim the fact that the 01 will not work with the most common software packages on the market. These forums are great, but it's still vague as far as indivdual application. I got it because my drummer uses it and loves it. But as much as I tried to read up on it before the purchase, it's still a matter of trial and error to figure out that:

1 - all my plugins are useless with it (even though the nice idiot at Guitar Center assured me that 5.1 would support them)
2 - Cubase, Nuendo are now useless
3 - Logic loads but frequently crashes at odd times
4 - Cakewalk works if one disables key features (and no VST support so who cares)
5 - installing separate MIDI drivers so that I can still use Cubase for sequencing causes Pro Tools to crash. I guess PT doesn't want me to use Cubase even for MIDI because any additional MIDI driver I've tried to install (even if not selected as my default MIDI driver) crashes Pro Tools on load.

So 2 months later I have a piece of hardware I cannot return (took a month before I had a chance to really start digging into it) and must find a way to use. If I could only have the benefit of using additional software I would love it. As it is, I had to pull my Darla card off my old PC, install it next to DIGI, and switch between cards depending on which program I need to use. Not very convenenient (have to flip my monitor system out each time too - tell me that doesn't suck). And to top it all off - I HAVE to use Pro Tools for sequencing, even though it's the absolute worst sequencing program out there.

All this would be easily solved with 1 patch!!!!!! So I gladly add my name to this list. I am in the process of creating a web site that warns people away from Pro Tools LE as a DAW, will post my displeasure on every user board I can find and will be sure to tell everyone I meet that they can only expect a load of dissapointment. 1 patch. It's almost funny....but not $800.00 worth of laughter.

Tommy
nakedsingularity
Old 04-20-2001, 08:11 PM

I can't believe they won't even write a DirectSound driver. Uhm hello wake up it's 2001 get with the program.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:09 PM

Include me also!!!!

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-22-2001, 02:20 AM

I agree, we should have the option to use ASIO 2.0/direct X on our 001 systems!

------------------
Old 05-17-2001, 08:58 AM

Apparently Digidesign are as stupid as I thought. Making an ASIO driver is close to the simplist thing you can do, Steinberg even have a skelleton driver in their ASIO SDK where all you have to do is put in all the port numbers, and addresses of the soundcard, and away you go. I hope that Digidesign go bankrupt for being so pathetic, look at the pricetag on the Digi001, and look what you get, a .VxD driver, and an MME user API, that is pretty funny. No DirectSound API, no ASIO API. I am glad I sold the Digi001 to a moron with a Macintosh, good luck in getting these people to listen, they are too busy talking about how they are industry standard, and how popular and great they are. MME which is a Windows 3.1 API which such pathetic latency and priority under Windows 9x is all they are offering, Great move.

What Digi001 needs:
DirectSound user API. (Multi-Client)
ASIO user API. (Multi-Client)
GSIF user API. (Multi-Client)
EASI user API. (Multi-Client)

Regards.

P.S. if someone can get the specs for this card, I will personally write a DirectSound API and ASIO API for the Digi001.
Old 05-17-2001, 08:57 PM

Well,
it seems to come down to a number of things: Digidesign distantiates itsself from Direct X and Asio, which are standards from Microsoft and Steinberg (am I right with that last one?). Asking DDsgn. to commit themselves to those standards, which are not theirs but from the concurrent, is like asking them to give up their identity. It pleads for DDsgn. that they cannot be tempted with the argument that they can earn much more money, conquer the market and become rich and powerfull if they swallow someone else's standards. Considering the quality of the 001-sound, and PT' quality for now allready, we may expect from a company that is that principal (and rather helpful and wellwilling towards their clients), that they will be competent enough to come up with their own substitutes. For us as home-users (wouldn't be surprised if the fellows in the professional and commercial studio's - where PT with 001 is also often used - get the same reply from DD, and are in no way better off) the situation is pretty disturbing indeed. Let them improove Direct I/O, or upgrade PT to Cubase-conveniency. Pro Tools is already quite a promising sequencer in my point of view, so let's give them some time. But then, Digidesign, could you please hurry a little? You have a market to conquer, and I would support you for your soundquality and price. If economical power is not your aim, remember you need some of it to make your ideals come true. So either give us a bunch of DX-equivalent plugins and a smooth Pro Tools (and quickly, time is money) and extend your position, or swallow someone else's standards and just survive. You can't become a significant participant in the market if you just take away someones
equipment without giving any alternatives. And only a good sound will not help you through ......

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.