Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-16-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Mix Bus Plugs

hello

well.... i dont mix with it on all the time and it reads like Pony does. Also if you have read the indepth Charles Dye articles you will see what he says about it, the RECORD BUTTON section. I know that for Rock some of the top mixers dont until the mix is almost or "is" finished. I can only speak for what i have read in some of the posts and for myself. What i would strongly suggest, is that until you are really comfortable with applying good Mix buss compression, and are sure it is helping you and not hurting your mix and that you have a really good plug or outboard unit for mix buss compression....dont apply it permantley to the mix or rely on listening to it the whole time throughout the mixing process. As it could possibly cause problems with your overall mix, especially if you end up taking it off for some reason in the end or whatever after you might have had it on the whole time. Until you have got it down. That being said, play with it when you have time and practice. What i have read and do often, is turn it on here and there just to see how its tying everything together, as a sweetner and close to last addition. Maybe try sending multiple mixes to the mastering house you use next time. One with some compression on and one with none. The place i have used, has allowed me to send them multiple mixes so they can choose the one that will work best, for them, or in general. Some places will do that for you and not charge any extra. I have never really had any many problems with my mixes and the mastering houses. They usually think its just fine and done well. First few mixes i ever sent were a tiny bit muddy, other than that, they were ok. Adding mix buss compression is often met with many different opinions, pending on who's talking. Im sure you will get both sides of it from many members. Maybe setup a link for people on this site to listen to a version of your mix with it on and one off or whatever to help you out and give their opinions. Hope this helps and doesnt sound to elementary.

peace

giffinmike
Old 09-18-2005, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Also it seems common practice to get 1-2 dbs of nice mix bus compression, but do mixers here mix into it like this (as someone suggested to me today - basically having it switched on from start of the mix) OR bang it on after the mix is finished?
as a record mixer I feel its important to mix INTO overall treatment to know what you are dealing with because I think it truly does affect the relative balances. i like to mix with compression, eq and limiting on the mix bus. i usually mellow out the limiter a little before printing but keep it on because i feel i have mixed into it, its shaping of the attacks and releases are part of the sound. but it is very true that you can't un-do it and too much will put your mix in a hole you can't get out of. its sort of like a drug in that sense. so don't over-do it!

depending on the style of music, the compression (not limiting) is definitely part of the "mix" process IMHO. it will certainly affect where you put your faders. whereas chilling out the limiter before printing won't destroy your balances as much as change the average/felt volume, usually. but i find taking the limiter off entirely sometimes i am surprised at mastering time. i always print a vocal up and sometimes an alternate bass and kick volume (grouped together) so that, if for example the mastering engineer adds tons of bottom which feels great overall but maybe obscures the vocal, they could use the vocal up mix instead.

if its generally recorded without eq it usually needs to be brightened up a bit, but as a mixer it seems highly important to adjust that on a global verses individual basis. i always go back and forth between adding eq on a global or individual level, especially regarding the lead vocal.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:43 PM

I agree about mixing through plugs you are pretty sure you are going to use on the 2 bus. I do bypass them occasionally to make sure they are doing what I want and not hurting the mix. Alot of plug ins affect the sound even if you are not processing much so I want to be mixing through the ones I am going to use otherwise it can be like starting over when you put them on if you were mixing without them. I personally don't like to leave everything up to the mastering engineer since you know what sort of sound you are going for and it is your baby. I am in favour of a fair bit of compression on the mix bus, the most important thing with compression to me is release time; make sure it is fast enough so it doesn't muddy up things or make it sound sluggish. I usually Iike a medium attack and fairly fast release depending on program. Also the comment about bringing two versions of a song to the mastering guy is valid ( one cleaner and another with the processing you think you want), sometimes it will save your ass or at least time. Compare alot with commercial cds in a similar genre to see how you are comparing to the norm and then you can decide if you want to process more or less than what others have done. Have fun and experiment.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 AM

If your sending it out of house for mastering Check with the mastering Engineer many of them perfer to have the sessions on Dat's or Tape and many of them perfer to have a clean bounce with nothing on the Master Bus as well as no Fades.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 AM

If your sending it out of house for mastering Check with the mastering Engineer many of them perfer to have the sessions on Dat's or Tape and many of them perfer to have a clean bounce with nothing on the Master Bus as well as no Fades.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:21 AM

I use Sony Oxford Limiter and DUY MagicEQ.
As a result, one rank mix is bright as much after mastering. Please hear you.