Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2000, 03:33 AM

Default Yamaha NS- 10\'s ???? Eh?

Hi

I'm quite new to all this, so exscuse the really stupid question...

I'm going to buy a pair of monitors when my Digi 001 arrives, I've looked at many different makes but the Yamaha Ns -10's "industry standard".. yadda yadda seem t always pop up, so why are they so much cheaper than all the rest if there so good and everybody uses them? Can I just plug these into the 001 and go, will I need other monitors too??? I'm confused..

Cheers

Jnr
Old 11-02-2000, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Yamaha NS- 10\'s ???? Eh?

Hi,

To answer your questions:
If you buy a pair of Yamaha Ns-10's, you won't be able to directly plug them into the Digi001 interface. You'll need to buy an amp first.

Many speaker models are available as Active monitors (I.E Amps built in) although obviously these are more expensive.

I wouldn't go far as to say that NS-10's are SO GOOD. I think everybody uses them because they claim to give a fairly average idea of what most home (bookshelf size) stereos would sound like.

I think your best bet would be to go into a store with a few CD's that you know well, and listen to different models and buy what YOU like the sound of (and what you can afford).

NS-10's are very bright speakers and if you're using them for long periods of time everyday, you'll get fatigued.

If you're looking for a set of relatively good sounding speakers that aren't too expensive, try the Absolute Zero's by SPIRIT.

A friend of mine has a pair and loves them.

Seeya, Matt.
Old 11-02-2000, 04:50 AM

Keep in mind that one of the reason everybody uses NS10's is because, well.....everybody uses them!

Let me explain. Every studio has a pair of those. Therefore, if you work with them and know them, wherever you go and work, chances are you'll find them and you'll be able to listen to them, compare them to the other monitors they have...they'll give you a reference!

Also: almost all sound engineers I do use NS10 at one point during the mix. And almost all bitch about those having so many defaults

I wouldn't recomend NS10's for a single pair of reference monitors, especially if all you're going to do is to work at home. Check out, Alesis M1, Event 20/20 or PS8, Tannoy Reveal, KRK, Dynaudio, whatever. Around $500 for a pair of active monitor (amp included).

But don't take my word for it. Take your favorite CD and start comparing them at your nearest store.

Good Luck!
David.

6am eternal

6am eternal
Old 11-02-2000, 05:12 AM

Thanks guy's! You've made my life easier...

Jnr
Old 11-02-2000, 08:45 PM

My only experience hearing NS 10's was in a room with a lot of carpeting and a thick rug. To me they sounded flat. Maybe there was tissue paper in the tweeter but to me they were so flat I wanted to add eq to everything. Any comments?
Old 11-03-2000, 07:40 AM

I have been mixing with ns-10's for years-I have never liked them-never will. They are indeed an industry standard and many, many pros use them, mostly in conjunction with other speakers for a well rounded approach to a final mix solution.
I read many posts about studio monitors, and someone wanting recommendations about what to buy. Every pair of ears is different, you must learn what to listen for in your monitors, ie.
critical listening. Heck, if I wanted good sound, I would use my home sterio speakers.
I believe the powered speakers are cool, I will just keep ns-10's a while longer before I
get those custom westlake behemouths!
Old 11-03-2000, 06:43 PM

I love my 10m's. I've never gotten ear strain, of course I don't listen to them at high volumes like some engineers I know. It's all what you get used to. After mixing a project that I've been working on for 4 months, I hard to listen to home speakers, the sound horrible when you're used to 10ms. But with 10ms or any other flat monitor, you hear more of what is truely going to tape, or HD in this case.
Old 11-04-2000, 10:05 AM

I think NS10s are fine for getting an idea of how your mix will sound on domestic type speakers, but you have to be aware that their bass response starts to drop off at about 200Hz and they are very prominent arond 3K... Hardly a flat frequency response..."detailed" is a good euphamism...

Just don't turn them up too loud...

In days gone by the Auratone did the same job....
Old 11-08-2000, 04:07 PM

if your new in sound and music production make your life more easy and dont!!!!!!buy ns 10 their flat their ugly and they sound bad !
pros use ns 10 becous their is a simple law concerning the ns 10 if it sound good on the ns 10 it will sound good every place you"ll listen to your works (so why not?) cous if you have no experiance in sound desing you wont be able to use the ns 10 to pleasent your ears

buy event 20/20bas
neumann tlm103
Tlaudio 5051 v.2
genelec 1030
yamaha p-90
Old 11-08-2000, 04:57 PM

I love my Genelec 1029...
Great and "real" sound.

[This message has been edited by obseco (edited November 08, 2000).]