Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Changing the device Playback Engine uses

I just finished installing Pro Tools LE 8.0 and MBox2 on a Win XP computer. After much head scratching I got a an input to work and recorded a track through the MBox2. The computer has built-in sound on the motherboard and I want to playback through that, but it isn't listed in the Playback Engine or any of the Setup menu choices. My Windows control panel has it as the default device, but Pro Tools is ignoring it. In the Setup menu, Hardware lists only MBox2.
I went to the index of the Pro Tools Reference Guide (in the Help menu) and looked up "Playback Engine". There is one page listed: 1010, but there is nothing on the page that refers to the Playback Engine. Doing a "Find" search in the pdf document, I found several instances of Playback Engine. But none had anything about how to select a different device.
Can anyone tell me how to do this?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Changing the device Playback Engine uses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAF View Post
The computer has built-in sound on the motherboard and I want to playback through that
<snip>
Can anyone tell me how to do this?
No can do. All audio output from Pro Tools has to come out of the Digidesign/Avid/Pro Tools hardware (the MBox 2).

If you want/need audio to come out of the computer's built in soundcard, you will need to use different software.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Changing the device Playback Engine uses

I use PT LE 8 in a Windows XP system myself--with MBox2Pro. On the back
of your MBox you will find 1/4" monitor out jacks. Just plug a pair of powered
monitor speakers (I use M-Audios) into these and you're good to go as far as
hearing the audio of your recordings.

Best wishes