Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Considering leaving Pro Tools for Logic

I've been doing a ton of reading on the whole Pro Tools vs Logic debate. It seems that since Apple took over Logic and came out with version 8, it's a serious alternative to Pro Tools.

The one thing that keeps me leaning toward staying with Pro Tools is I hear that it's a little better for audio editing (I record mostly analog instruments and vocals as opposed to a ton of sequencing kind of stuff). Everything else is in Apple's favor. Namely:

1) COST - Logic is way cheaper. $499 for Logic Studio 8, approx $2,000 for an interface = $2,500 whereas Pro Tools HD 1 plus the cheapest Digi interface is over $10,000.

2) MOBILITY - In the Pro Tools world, only LE users can take it on the road because HD requires PCIe card(s) which requires a desktop PC instead of a laptop.

3) DONGLE - Logic requires NO dongle or USB key or MBox 2 Micro-type of device in order to be able to mix on the road. And of course, Pro Tools HD users can't do this anyway for reason #2 and LE users have to have MBox 2 Micro (although it's nice there is such a solution at least).

I don't want to make a laundy list of pros the other way to convince myself to stay with Pro Tools. I'm wanting to jump from LE to HD, but the way HD is currently, I'll probably jump to Logic instead.

************************************************** ************************************************
What I would LOVE is for Digi to give us some sort of roadmap so we could know what great things might be coming (and thus would wait for).
************************************************** ************************************************

Will Digi recognize that PCs are now powerful enough to run it all and move away from PCIe cards, or would that kill their financial model?

If they did this, would they then price it more competitively so that LE users could consider that jump instead of a jump to Logic?

Everyone in the Logic camp talks about the big bad monopoly that won't answer to it's lowly users. But if I can't get some sort of answers from Digi soon, I think (still unsure though) that I'll make the jump to Logic.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Ron

P.S. And for anyone who might respond with "buy both", not only do I not want to PAY for 2 platforms, I don't want to LEARN 2 platforms. Heck, I have so little time as it is to go down into my basement studio and work on music. -thx
Boulder, CO 80306
http://www.westinis.com
Old 12-28-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Considering leaving Pro Tools for Logic

Quote:

1) COST - Logic is way cheaper. $499 for Logic Studio 8, approx $2,000 for an interface = $2,500 whereas Pro Tools HD 1 plus the cheapest Digi interface is over $10,000.

I'm going to correct your facts first. You can get an HD1 PCIe Accel for a MacPro for 4k. That's what I paid. You can get an Aurora 8 for 2k, with and HD card.

You are telling people what to tell you and what not to. You are not like to get much input. From reading your post, I don't know what you are really wanting.

I own Logic 8, Protools HD, and LE. Logic 8 is very compelling. I would suggest vice asking questions, you go out and do your own homework and come to your own conclusions. The question has been asked a million times. Do a search here, but don't expect unbiased information. I'd suggest going over to www.gearslutz.com and doing a search or 2 or 3 or 4 to get the info you need to make the decision that is best for you.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-29-2007, 09:22 AM

My situation is somewhat different than yours. I use PT LE and Logic Pro together, and I have since Logic Express 7. I think that Logic is THE best investment a PT LE user can make. Simply because the plugins are so much better and you get a lot of features that Digidesign charges big bucks for. When Logic Pro 8 came out and was only $500 bucks I jumped on it. You just cant find a better batch of plugins anywhere for that kind of money. Of course you have to learn Logic but if you can learn ProTools, you can learn Logic.

That said, I dont see why anyone wouldn't want BOTH PT and Logic. If you use HD hardware (which I dont) it's a slam dunk. Logic will use your processors and the HD processing. Either way Logic 8 is a great investment. If you find you never use PT and work solely in Logic, then yeah, I do agree that you can get better sound quality than PT HD for considerably less money.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Considering leaving Pro Tools for Logic *DELETED*

Post deleted by DigiTechSupt
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM

BHR", wow thats pretty rough of you?
leave and goodbye?
i surely seen hardcore people (javascript:void(0)
BIASED), but he was asking for help?

Old 12-29-2007, 10:41 AM

Sorry about that.... pre coffee state of mind....LOL I don't like whiners....
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM

Oh, the fun of questions like this...

Barry did a great job answering, so I will simply add my own 3 cents..

I am a LONG time PT user, first TDM, HD and then LE. I am currently using Logic 8 as my primary. I sold my HD rig, went with LE (does about 93% of what HD can do if one does LE + MPT + DVT2; 5.1 or greater, more than 32 busses, more than 48 tracks, certain "advanced" automation and other features, TDM plug-ins, more than 18 simultaneous I/O, ICON support, and several other *lesser* things would be the immediate things you CANNOT get with an LE rig). LE falls short currently due to some of those things mentioned in the differences between LE and HD, and most of all RTAS resource issues (try running several VI's in PT, then Logic..clear cut, but Digi is aware and working on this! ), and also some of the features Logic has that some composers have found and LOVE that PT does not have (Digi HAS to be working on this to stay in the game IMO, so do not throw PT away!!!)

As such, I would recommend keeping your LE I/O and PT LE, and adding Logic Studio when you can. Worst case: Logic sucks for you, and you throw it on the 'bay. However: Before you do so, I HIGHLY recommend forgetting how you work in PT, grabbing David Nahmani's book, "Apple Pro Training: Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8." It is the basics, and can seem very elementary at first. However, as you read, you will begin to see workflows you probably used in PT unfold, but via a different approach. We all probably put on shoes and socks; but, some put a sock and shoe on one foot, then the other. Others do socks, then shoes. (no offense to people with one foot, or none) Logic is DIFFERENT. You can do the basics in both apps. PERIOD.

Although not a well known band, Porcupine Tree's latest was composed, recorded, mixed AND mastered by the main guy, Steven Wilson, in Logic. He does have an HD rig Logic is running atop, but Logic's toolset is what is being used. Whether you have an HD rig or not, it is THE SAME, except for the ability to use TDM plugins in Logic, and latency to a small extent.

People love to have black or white, this or that, good or bad, blah blah blah. Such tripe. Buy both, become fluent in both, and now you have a very well rounded set of software tools. Granted, it will cost some $$$. But, unless you are freelancing enough to support the purchase of HD, or running a commercial studio, I simply do not see the reason for it. Like I said- I sold mine. My freelancing is limited (by choice, mostly), and I do no video work that might have clients requesting PT specifically, or commercial "standing behind me as I work" clients requesting PT specifically. I get handed something, get asked for "X" result, and produce it. If I use Apple or Digi- MY choice. And when I do my own composing? As I said- until LE has more busses, 64 tracks (at least), RTAS *fixed*, better comping facilities, and expanded MIDI capabilities, Logic 8 is it for composing for me. For recording or mixing, both work equally well for me right now...unless I have more than 48 tracks, or want to do a 5.1 mix. Then I have to go Logic.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:11 PM

Thanks much for taking the time to respond.
Boulder, CO 80306
http://www.westinis.com
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 PM

All I can say, is whenever Nikki is talking, everyone should be listening.......!!!!!!!!!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
All I can say, is whenever Nikki is talking, everyone should be listening.......!!!!!!!!!
LOL! (and thx )