Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2012, 03:59 AM

Default Waves plugins issue

Hello Fellow Avid users,

I am having a bit of a headbanger issue.
I am in the process of opening up a recording studio in downtown Seattle, and have recently purchased an HD rig (not new, ebay with accell cards) and a (PPC) based mac G5 using OSX (10.5.8).

They work fine and i am able to boot up pro tools HD with no problem.

I have also recenlty installed a Waves bundle that up until now i was using on my laptop (a macbook pro also on OSX 10.5.8).

THE PROBLEM: when i booted up pro tools for the first time after installing the waves bundle, i was asked to locate the "waves 7.0 plug-ins folder", which i did by going to machd/applications/waves/waveplugins. from there pro tools continued to open up normally. when i attempted to open up an instance of anything on a track however, there are only the stock PT plug ins available, the waves bundle plug ins don't aren't even listed. Its as if they were never installed.

Has anyone had this problem before and if so can you tell me what you did to fix it?

I called tech support at Waves but they seemed pretty miffed at this problem and promised to get back to me, in the mean time it is kind of affecting my schedule with clients.

stranger still, it won't even allow me to uninstall (siting a database error and that folders are missing) so i have to manually uninstall all the placed folders then reinstall).

i double checked and version 7 is compatible for both ppc and intel and is also compatable with PTHD8 (up to 8.1 i am on 8.0)

as a sidenote i want to add that although i am not as vocal as some of the other members here, i have kept up with the site frequently and have noticed that questions like these tend to go off topic pretty fast. Please keep in mind i am a fellow member here that needs help which is part of the reason sites like this exist. If threads like this simple get a few "works find for me" "rtfm!" and "newb!!!" type comments than it doesn't really help anybody. i would also like to add that i did search the site before asking this question and found no other similar thread.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:04 AM

Default Re: Waves plugins issue

Newb, RTFM

It may be looking for the WAVESHELL which is in the Plug-ins folder in Application Support/Avid
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM

LOL thanks cliff,
i checked one of the computers where waves works fine (my laptop)
and looked in the applicationsupport/avid/
I didn't see the file you were talking about, but this is on the computer that waves works fine on ()
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 PM

It's HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/plugins is where the waveshell should be.
Depending on bundles/separates you may have multiple waveshells (V7)
All the Waves plugins are in the applications/waves folder/plugins.
Try trashing the waves prefs and it will again ask for you to find the waves plugin folder when PT's launches.
Make sure you select the waves plugin folder inside the waves folder (In Applications)

PS. There were versions of waves that wouldn't let you navigate to the requested folder.
Needed an alias manually added from user/preferences/waves preference/plugins (My memory so it could be slightly off)
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 AM

Thanks man, even if this doesn't work i gotta say that was a geniune attempt to help.

I tried to redo my hardrive
erased it but when i went to put the OS disk in it wouldn't take it because it was a OS disk from my laptop (!?!?!?!)

so while im sitting here staring at this grey screen, i got to thinkin.

the laptops with waves in them here work fine, but the two g5's wont can't find them for some reason (despite saying they are installed). is there a different file sorting system for desktops than laptops for macs?

i will try your technic tommorow when i head back down there. thanks in advance
Old 02-14-2012, 09:21 PM

Some showed up now, but whenever i try to instantiate them i get "DAE Error -7053)
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Bump
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Im now being told the missing/corrupt file is a file called "icon"
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Are you installing from the newest waves V7 download from their site?
Or manually placing?

fyi
V7 worked well on G5 Systems
(Non-K version user from V3<8)