Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Default Sync video w/ audio rec w/ Venue HD

Is there anybody out there has, or needed to, sync video up with audio that you record to the HD system at FOH? Our church is looking at starting a streaming service, and to try to be good stewards of money, want to try to record the music live, mix it back later w/ studio speakers, and use the remixed version w/ the video that was captured. The way we currently capture video is from a 3 camera + graphics mix that is outputted into Final Cut.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Someone suggested getting the SYNC HD and using a shared clock for both the computer capturing video, and the computer running ProTools, but I'm not sure that would work, as I don't know how the SYNC HD would interface w/ our FOH rack.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Sync video w/ audio rec w/ Venue HD

Welcome to the forum. Just so you know my former church (I've moved, that's why it's former) we had a Venue DSHow @ FOH with an HD3 Accel in the audio studio. I would record the audio and mix it live in the studio for broadcast while synced with the house video. We would later edit in final cut. Technically there is nothing with ProTools and Venue you need to do for its connection---however are you asking to later playback backing video WITH backing audio that the worship team will then play along with? And if so are you wanting to also record everything back to HD?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks, been a long time stalker to the forum, but never had a question I couldn't find an answer for...until now.

So, right now, we have budgeted to upgrade the FWx we had to an HDx, and are getting a Mac with the HD Native card. That was all set to go, when the idea of streaming was brought to the forefront. My hope is to use the same computer to remix the live service for streaming, and then sync that audio with the video for that service and combine them as a file we can post to a streaming server. Just not sure what the easiest way to sync them will be.

Does that make sense?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:33 AM

So you aren't trying to stream in real-time. You're essentially trying to post an edited video with re-mixed audio online, correct?

If so, it sounds like you need your Final Cut machine and your Sync HD to receive timecode from a timecode generator, and you'll also need to feed both video sync (ie. black burst).

From there, I'm not 100% sure how you'll sync the final products. It seems to me like either you'd need to bounce a mix from Pro Tools and import that audio into final cut, or you'd need to export a quicktime from final cut and import that into Pro Tools. In either scenario, the bounced/exported file would need to have timecode embedded into it in order to sync up once you import into the other program, and I'm not sure how you'd do that.

I'm sure there's a simple answer that someone can clue us into, but I see your dilemma
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM

...if it was an avid editor I know exactly what to do. Not that savvy with syncing with FCP

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |