Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Default Unable to export 48khz mix

hi,

I am currently studying at a University, and was checking out some sample mixes they had on their student intranet. All the files were in 48khz, so I shrug, load pro tools as a 48khz session and mix away. 4 awesome hours later I am thrilled to listen as I mix down the final mix to a stereo track, and then export it. I figure pro tools will do the downsampling from 48khz to 44.1 and tick off the tweak head option on the conversion quality. Lo and behold, I run over to Finder to listen to what I hath made and am rather disappointed by the upbeat, smurf abomination of the song.

I run back, try exporting the file as 48khz and the same thing happens. I've spent the last hour searching the web for forum posts about this problem, but have yet to be enlightened. am I truly and royally [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ed? Do I f.eks have to run the final stereo through the school desk and on to radar or something like that to get the right tempo and pitch or is there some magic button that PT has hidden away somewhere which fixes all my woes?

Sorry for the sarcastic tone, it's 6am here and I'm getting a bit overtired xD

So, I bid thee noble gentlemen and gentleladies who might have an answer to this problem to take a moment of your time and perchance help me out a bit?

million thanks!

Have a good night/morning/day (I'm confused...)

Rob
Old 09-25-2010, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Unable to export 48khz mix

"Smurf abomination." That's a new one. I like it though. Can you post a link to the audio file so we can understand what you mean by that?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Indeed! In any case, there are some things unanswered(such as what bit depth and what format you bounced to, as well as how your system is clocked). My 2 cents only, but I always(almost) bounce my mix to a stereo-interleaved file at the same bit depth and sample rate of the session. Then I import the bounced file to my mastering program(I use WaveLab, but this all works in PT). Once its in WaveLab, I will trim the head and tail, add a fadeout of needed and remove DC offset. Next, depends on if the file will be mastered, or if I am doing the entire project. If it goes to mastering, I'm pretty much done so I process and save/export. If I am to produce the final file, besides whatever mastering tools I use, I will add dither(last process) to 16 bit and render(bounce) the final file to 16 bit/44.1(assuming an audio CD is the goal).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinbjerke View Post
I figure pro tools will do the downsampling from 48khz to 44.1 and tick off the tweak head option on the conversion quality. Lo and behold, I run over to Finder to listen to what I hath made and am rather disappointed by the upbeat, smurf abomination of the song.
You have to select the target sample rate as 44.1 (this is an option in the same window - right above the tweakhead (quality) option.)

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com