Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-10-2010, 06:27 AM

Default Mult-mono vs Stereo Plugins

Could somebody explain the difference??

Mono Track....When to use stereo or mono effects?
Aux Track for Global Reverb....Stereo or Mono?
Aux Track for Guitar using same Plugin(Guit Rig 4)....I noticed when I use a stereo AUX and pan the individual tracks hard right there is no signal.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Mult-mono vs Stereo Plugins

A lot of this is a matter of personal preference and what you're trying to accomplish.

In most cases, when using a reverb, it's usually a stereo effect, and you send your various mono sources, which may be panned in different places, to the stereo reverb. But in some cases, a mono reverb might be good, like if you're trying to make something sound really distant, and it's panned in the same spot as the source. Or a special effect where the reverb is panned to the opposite side of where the source is.

For delay, it can be either or. If it's stereo, the 2 delays can be panned wider than the source. Many times mono is fine. Sometimes nice effect can be when the source is panned somewhat to the left and the delay (barely audible) is panned to the other side. Gives a unique sense of space.

As for you third question, I don't understand what you're asking.

Maybe you could be more specific in what you're trying to do.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 AM

I want to use Guitar Rig 4 on a AUX for 4 guitar tracks. Should I use Stereo or Mono AUX. If I use mono AUX should I use mono or mono/stereo?
Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM

I guess I'm not understanding why you're using Guitar Rig on an aux. To buss it to an audio track so the effect is recorded as audio? And I don't understand the 4 tracks.

Are you using the effects in Guitar Rig or trying to record just the amp sounds and add effects later?

What kind of music is it?

Sorry, I'm still not understanding what you're trying to do. Try to be as detailed as possible.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLEpperson View Post
I want to use Guitar Rig 4 on a AUX for 4 guitar tracks. Should I use Stereo or Mono AUX. If I use mono AUX should I use mono or mono/stereo?
Thanks
Are you trying to bus 4 guitar tracks to one instance of Guitar Rig 4??? If you are the results probably wouldn't be pretty. The only reason where I could see you wanting to do this is to save CPU power, but do yourself a favor and just print each track with the amp sim separately. The combining of the 4 tracks going through the amp sim will be harmonic hell. There is a reason each guitarist plays through their own amp when playing live........