Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2000, 11:00 AM

Default Losing [command][shift]B

Anyone else periodically lose the ability to remove from a session or delete audio files with the keyboard command?

I do once in a while, and need to restart in order to get it back. I have PT 5.0.1. Never experienced it before the upgrade.

Mark
Old 07-07-2000, 11:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Losing [command][shift]B

Mark
i tried this with Pro Tools ver 5.0.1
45 times in a row and could not reproduce your problem. Please provide system info
(CPU, MAC OS, Pro Tools Ver and Hardware.
MJ
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 07-07-2000, 11:42 AM

I have also had similar problems, Cmd Shift R which used to Rename Regions now sometimes brings up a Repeat dialog and sometimes just doesn't work.
Also the right and left keyboard arrows that bounce you to the start or end of a region seem to not always work...
Old 07-07-2000, 01:12 PM

Trombino,

I've had this problem, and I'm not suggesting in anyway you're as much of a space cadet as i am...

Make sure all the regions are showing in the regions list. Use "Find All" command, and show auto-created as well.

They seem to have to be visible on this list for the command key to find and remove/delete them, even if the regions are on tracks and selectable/visible.

I also restarted to get this back, but eventually noticed that I had inadvertently "found" a small number of regions, which then can't be selected from the point of view of the region list.

[This message has been edited by johnwhynot (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old 07-07-2000, 01:52 PM

hard to tell exactly what problems everyone is having, but here's my observation since 5.0 -- sometimes (and I can rarely figure out the rhyme or reason) my command-shift commands don't work. One example that I can pinpoint is that when trying to save plugin settings, command-shift-S doesn't save the plugin settings, it's a shortcut for Save As... on the session. Another is that with the ChannelStrip plug open, command-shift-E returns the plugin to it's factory default instead of inserting space. I've also noticed some weird things with command-shift-B and others and the only way I've found to make them work properly is to reboot -- of course, usually I just quietly use the pull down menus instead so that the client doesn't watch me reboot.

I thought QuickKeys might be at fault, but I don't think so -- although I should try disabling it altogether sometime...
Old 07-07-2000, 02:16 PM
Jim Clark

I'm glad it wasn't just me imagining that sometimes apple-shift-B doesn't work. It happens only sometimes, just as you all have experienced it.
Old 07-07-2000, 02:22 PM

by the way, I just checked my quickkeys and the cmnd-shift-S thing was operator error. oops. but the cmnd-shift-E thing wasn't, and the cmnd-shift-B thing is still a mystery.
Old 07-07-2000, 03:35 PM

Lost use of "<SHIFT><COMMAND> H" today using v5.0. Rare occurence.

later, j mcd
Old 07-09-2000, 11:57 AM

Well... I'm glad it's not just me for a change

johnwhynot - Hi! I usually choose to not display auto-created regions. Next time this happens I'll see if that has something to do with it...

MJ - here's my setup:
MixPlus + 1 farm card
PT 5.0.1
MacOS 8.6
9600/300 but with a (gasp) Newertech G3/400
256MB RAM (35MB to PT, 35MB to DAE) (I think)

I forgot to mention that the first time it happens, the region or soundfile I'm trying to remove will just be removed from the playlist, and I don't get the panel asking me if I want to remove it from the session or delete it from disk. The region is still in the session, and I can use the audio menu to get rid of it. After that, the key stroke command doesn't do anything.

And then, SOMETIMES, the command will start working again...

KingTor - I've also experienced once that the command-shift-s didn't save plug-in settings. I forgot about that. Are you sure it was QuickKeys? I don't have that installed on my system...

[This message has been edited by trombino (edited July 09, 2000).]
Old 07-10-2000, 03:25 AM

About the shift-cmd-XX keyboard shortcuts, I had this problem many times, especially using G4/macOs9 (but can't be sure it didn't happen on G3/8.6)

In fact, when the bug occurs, every keyboard shortcut that uses the "shift" key seems to not work anymore after some time, even the "alt-shift-3" function.

Just save, quit, re-open the session and everything works fine ... until the bug occurs again !

I use these shortcuts very frequently, and when they break, I really miss them, but not easy to quit and reload the session when you're with a customer.

I can just confirm there's a bug here. I thought it was caused by the USB/ADB converter (I used an ADB keyboard on the G4), but I noticed the "shift" key still work fine on the desktop even when it fails to work under Protools. So I guess this is a Protools bug, and not the ADB/USB Driver's fault. The fact that "to relaunch PT without restarting the computer" seems to fix the prob brings me to the same conclusion...

Any Digi word about this ?

Thanks!