Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 PM

Default Connection Issues with MTRX Studio

I have some sort of a connection issue with my MTRX Studio which I received a month ago. I'm using a MacBook Pro (macOS Catalina) and connect to the MTRX Studio using an ethernet cable and a ethernet to USB-C dongle. Similar issues on my Mac Mini as well.

Whenever I switch on the MTRX Studio, it doesn't always connect reliably to the computer. The ethernet port lights don't turn on (I've tried both ports). It takes a couple of rounds of rebooting the unit and/or the computer for it to finally light up and connect. It then shows up in DADman correctly. Once connected it functions properly for hours.

Is there some issue with my unit or is there some sort of start up sequence to be followed? When I received the unit, I did update the firmware I believe.

Anyone else with similar problems?
Old 08-03-2021, 06:00 AM
Avid

Default Re: Connection Issues with MTRX Studio

Greetings,

The MTRX Studio when powering up looks to get an IP address from a DHCP server. Best case scenario would be to add an Ethernet Router to provide IP addresses for your workstation + MTRX Studio + any other devices you might connect to it. If you don't care to do that, I would recommend at least assigning static IP addresses to the workstation and MTRX Studio, since relying on the self-assigned 169 addressing on the Mac can be dicey, especially depending on how you turn on all of your devices from cold. You can get to the network configuration from DADman via Settings > Device List > (IP Address) > Right-Click and access Network Settings - then set Configure to Manually. Here's a screen shot of that configuration page:

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for the quick response.

Ok, coming from a network noob, luckily today the IP showed up in the Device List. I tried setting it to manual and then the MTRX Studio rebooted, but when I try to connect, it gives an error trying to connect. The network settings only show the 'Main CPU' part now. I'm not really sure on what to enter for the IP address, Subnet mask and default gateway.

Is there a guide somewhere I could follow for this? I will eventually try and move it all to an ethernet router.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:21 AM
Avid

Feel free to PM me and we can go through it.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-20-2023, 10:02 AM

Following up on Ooptron's post, is there a guide for setting up the network for the MTRX? I am changing over my system to static IP's, and was wondering if the DNS Address needs to be the same as the Default Gateway as shown in the screenshot.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Avid

The DNS address is not important. If not using a router, simply set your network adapter in System Preferences > Network - to Configure Manually, then choose an IP address and subnet mask. As long as all of your MTRX devices - MTRX, Studio, MOM, and any others have manual addresses in the same subnet range you should be good to go.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-22-2023, 04:00 PM

When I switch to static IP's, I can still connect to the MTRX II's, but they disappear from my router's list of clients. They still show up in Dante controller but with clocking errors, and they are also not passing audio through. For my network settings, I used the same subnet mask that was entered from when it was configured as DHCP, and the same for the Default Gateway. I don’t have anything in the DNS address option, but have tried a few different addresses with no success. Is there something I am forgetting?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 09-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Avid

Make sure you only have one of your devices specified as the Preferred Leader in Dante Controller. Also, here a few different documents on networking and IP Audio that should prove helpful:

https://www.audinate.com/learning/faqs/network-basics

https://www.audinate.com/learning/fa...-dante-network

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-26-2023, 08:15 AM

When I changed my settings after going to a static IP, it seems the clocking and audio are passing through. I changed my clock source in PT on all machines to Word Clock, dante is receiving external clock. The last problem that is persisting, is that the MTRX II isn't showing up as a client with my router's manager. I'm just concerned the signal may not be going everywhere it needs to if it isn't showing up on my router's manager. It's also the only part of my network that isn't showing up on my router's manager after being configured as a static IP, it is listed when it's configured as DHCP.

I'm using a Netgear M4250-26G4F-Poe+ switch and a TP Link Archer C4000 router.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Old 09-26-2023, 09:45 AM

The router has a DHCP-server which provides the IP addresses to all devices configured as DHCP. It only shows the devices the DHCP-server has assigned addresses to. Fixed IP addresses will not be shown in the list as the DHCP-server has not assigned these. The list is not used by the router to route the traffic, that is handled by other mechanisms.

It is btw. essential when using both fixed and DHCP-addresses on the same network to reserve a range for the DHCP-assigned addresses. This is know as the "IP address pool". Addresses outside of this pool can be used for fixed IP. Alternatively you can reserve an IP address for a device based on its MAC address.