Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-11-2021, 06:56 PM

Default DIGI 002 quit and now won't connect via Firewire

Hey there everyone,

I'm using my trusty Digi002 Rack with my PT 8.05 on my Mac 3,1 running Snow Leopard (osx 10.6.8).

Yes, it's an older system, but works perfectly for what i need it do, and no need to do any updates or upgrades.

Anyways, I just opened up a session to start working on it again, and started to play it back. Mid way through the song, Pro Tools quit. I thought that was odd, and went to re-start Protools again, and it now keeps telling me that the hardware is not connected or is in use by another application.

Also noticed, is that when the Digi 002 rack is on, you can see that the 1394 (firewire) light is not on. I checked the connections to my computer and the 002 rack, and even plugged into the other firewire port, and still nothing. But i can hear it clicking and the green cylindrical poking out light on the back going on and off intermittently in co-relation with this clicking noise.

My 002 rack has been working flawlessly and now this.

Any ideas of what is going on here?

Many thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT - after posting this thread, i thought i'd try again. it clicked a few times and the sample rate (44.1) wasn't lit up this time, and PT opened up. I was able to open up my session and play it. HOWEVER, no sound was coming out of either the headphones plugged directly into the 002 rack, or via my studio speakers.

Very odd.

The session i still opened, and now the Sample Rate (44.1) light is lit up, but still no sound.

So initially it was a firewire connection (or so i thought) and now it's connecting but not allowing any sound coming out of it, all the while playing the session with no issues (this time).

HELP!!!

Last edited by yogi snaps; 07-11-2021 at 07:01 PM. Reason: New relevant info
Old 07-11-2021, 07:06 PM

Default Re: DIGI 002 quit and now won't connect via Firewire

Try another Firewire cable (they do wear out!)

Turn OFF your Digi002 Rack before connecting or disconnecting the Firewire cable

Startup order:
Turn ON your Digi002 Rack
Turn ON your computer
Launch Pro Tools

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...oting/en388139
I can't hear any audio output:

If you have speakers connected to the Main Outputs, make sure the buttons Alt Src to Mon and Mute are not engaged. This is also applicable to the headphone output.

DUC Search:

002 Rack firewire won't connect
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=1887390

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOT88 View Post
My firewire light on 002 rack won't light up anymore, therefore there is a problem with 002 Rack firewire, internal issue. I read there is a part that Avid will send you, but I have no way to contact them.

I'm trying to get a part for 002 rack, but can't find a way to contact Avid to get the damn part. Spent 30 hours already trying to contact them. But all I see is ASC codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The power harness is likely the issue. I would contact AllPro Electronics in Nashville as they are an authorized repair center, and should be able to get any part. Before you do that, you might try re-seating the harness as that fixes the issue about half the time. The rack is simple as you simply remove the top. With the front panel toward you, the PSU is on the right side. You can follow the harness from there to the 2 other connectors. Remove and reconnect all 3 connectors, 5 to 6 times(I would do the 2-wire connector on the PSU as well). replace the top(maybe with 4 screws for now) and test.

Avid Knowledge Base - Digi 002 and 003 Drivers
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...02-003-Drivers

Avid Knowledge Base - Digi 002 Rack Product Information
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...guide/en365819

Digi 002 & Digi 002 Rack Basics Guide
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...uide_25678.pdf

Getting Started with Digi 002 Rack
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/supp...d_002_Rack.pdf

Last edited by unkJE; 07-12-2021 at 12:22 AM. Reason: DUC searches
Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 AM

Very likely you are facing the dreaded power harness issue that has plagued 002 all of its lifetime. Open the box and you will see a y-shaped cable that delivers power to the two main boards. It needs to be taken off, cleaned, and re-seated. If you do not have any sort of alcohol available just re-seating it few times should clean it enough.
Old 07-12-2021, 08:29 AM

In addition to the solid advice above, here is a detail that may make this a bad day for you. If you "hot-patched" the firewire cable(unplug and/or re-plug) with the system powered on, there is a very good(bad?) chance you fried the firewire chip in the 002, the firewire port or both I have seen it myself and due to the cost of the repair(if its even possible in 2021), it will be a waste of time to pursue that.

Now certainly pop the lid and reseat the 3 connections(1 at the PSU and 2 at the 2 main circuit boards). With the unit facing you, the PSU is on the right side and the harness has about 12 wires of various colors. Work each connection off and back on 5-6 times(this scrapes thru the oxidation that builds up on the pins). and, do try another FW cable(and if you have any firewire drives, make sure the cable works with the drive and that your firewire port is still good on the computer).

At the end of all this, if its still dead, go shopping for a used 003rack(which also works with LE8.0.5) and have your installer file handy as the 003 may require a different driver(the drivers are included with the LE installers, the separate drivers are for later versions of Pro Tools).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Very likely you are facing the dreaded power harness issue that has plagued 002 all of its lifetime. Open the box and you will see a y-shaped cable that delivers power to the two main boards. It needs to be taken off, cleaned, and re-seated. If you do not have any sort of alcohol available just re-seating it few times should clean it enough.

I had to remove the plastic connectors and hardwire the harness before it would work - resoldering the dry joints at the back of the boards.