Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-10-2021, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Upgraded Win + ProTools, system runs at 44.1 kHz only

Help with windows 10 and protools 10

I am running windows 7 64 bit and because of some new UAD plugins with the apollo quad x I am asking a few questions please

1. I have purposely kept my machine off the internet because when you update this that does not work and so on then you have to pay waves WUP (extortion plan) as well as always having to load windows updates, Basically I have turned my system into a tape machine,, no firmware, updates, upgrades etc. I have everything I need and it is working great and has been since around 2014 but...

2. I am running protools 10 (64 I think)

3. I really want to incorporate the UAD Apollo quad 8 and the plugins that come with it as well as buy the manley package.

4. I have been informed after being in Nashville last week how great this unit is and sounded fantastic on converters as well as plugs. I own an appogee rosetta 800 and the converters are great as well through ADAT.
My problem is they are telling me that UAD plugins will only work on windows 10. To add insult to injury they no longer have the firewire model only sell the Thunderbolt connection (or usb C).

5. Am I stuck with what I have or do they make a pci card for windows 10?

6. I realize I probably will have to do some modifications as we all did to optimize protools to run with W7. What am I running into here? What can I expect? Will I have to reauthorize all my plugins? Will my plugins work (I realize you dont know what I have but can submit a sandra report if I have to)

I am just trying to weigh the risk of opening my system up to a pitfall of issues.

Thanks!!

Scar97

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 08-10-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Help with windows 10 and protools 10

I am running windows 7 64 bit and because of some new UAD plugins with the apollo quad x I am asking a few questions please

1. I have purposely kept my machine off the internet because when you update this that does not work and so on then you have to pay waves WUP (extortion plan) as well as always having to load windows updates, Basically I have turned my system into a tape machine,, no firmware, updates, upgrades etc. I have everything I need and it is working great and has been since around 2014 but...

2. I am running protools 10 (64 I think)

3. I really want to incorporate the UAD Apollo quad 8 and the plugins that come with it as well as buy the manley package.

4. I have been informed after being in Nashville last week how great this unit is and sounded fantastic on converters as well as plugs. I own an appogee rosetta 800 and the converters are great as well through ADAT.
My problem is they are telling me that UAD plugins will only work on windows 10. To add insult to injury they no longer have the firewire model only sell the Thunderbolt connection (or usb C).

5. Am I stuck with what I have or do they make a pci card for windows 10?

6. I realize I probably will have to do some modifications as we all did to optimize protools to run with W7. What am I running into here? What can I expect? Will I have to reauthorize all my plugins? Will my plugins work (I realize you dont know what I have but can submit a sandra report if I have to)

I am just trying to weigh the risk of opening my system up to a pitfall of issues.

Thanks!!

Scar97
According to this handy chart https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart Pro Tools 10 wants Win 7, not Win 10. So yeah, either freeze in time with Win 7 (no UAD apparently), or upgrade to Win 10 & get a new version of Pro Tools & UAD. Hardware/software updates can seem daunting. Take your time - it'll be worth it and will work quite well. You could continue working on your current rig while setting up a new (separate) rig. Test/tweak & then switch over.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-11-2021, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
According to this handy chart https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart Pro Tools 10 wants Win 7, not Win 10. So yeah, either freeze in time with Win 7 (no UAD apparently), or upgrade to Win 10 & get a new version of Pro Tools & UAD. Hardware/software updates can seem daunting. Take your time - it'll be worth it and will work quite well. You could continue working on your current rig while setting up a new (separate) rig. Test/tweak & then switch over.
In addition to this, PT 10 is a 32 bit app. 64 bit started with PT 11.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave