Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Stems ,how to set up and export

Latest Protools, Max, Catalina. How do I set up my stems? Including and excluding effects and plug ins?
Let me know.

Thanks
Peter
Old 08-02-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Stems ,how to set up and export

Here are some suggestions on that, but I must ask this question first: Since you are new to this, why do you feel the need to create stems?

A "stem" is simply a mix(actually a "sub mix") of SOME tracks. For example, you might create a stem of all the drums, or a stem of all the BGV's(background vocals). There are several ways of creating stems. Let's assume you want a drums stem:
#1-Solo all the drum tracks and bounce.
#2-move all drum tracks to a new ROUTING FOLDER(and check the box to actually re-route). This new Routing Folder represents a stem, so if you COMMIT the folder track, the result would be a drums stem.

I'm sure there's more ways to achieve the desired result(in all honestly, I rarely use or create stems, which is why I asked the question at the top). Knowing what the end goal is can often get more specific advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2021, 09:07 AM

IF you are doing a lot of stems you want to route your submixes to audio tracks instead of aux tracks, keeping it in "I" mode normally but recording when necessary. Saves a lot of time when you only need to set it up once.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
IF you are doing a lot of stems you want to route your submixes to audio tracks instead of aux tracks, keeping it in "I" mode normally but recording when necessary. Saves a lot of time when you only need to set it up once.
Yes!

I do this when working audio post sessions. One stereo audio track (in "I" mode) for VO, SFX, Music, and CompMix. Select the video file, & hit record. Recording starts/stops where you want it to i.e. to match pic file. Then just rename each (VO_spot1_today's date, SFX_spot1_today's date, MUS_spot1_today's date, COMP_spot1_today's date), export as interleaved, and send splits & comp to video editor or producer. Fast workflow.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-04-2021, 08:16 AM

Not new to recording. However, some are asking for stems. For the master. This is my issue. Just needed to know how to send with the plug ins and effects (routed from an aux), as a stem.
Thanks for the responses.
Peter
Old 08-04-2021, 08:21 AM

Once you take a minute to think about it it is rather easy. A stem, or a submix, or whatever they want to call it, requires you to route your tracks to aux or audio track where you can commit to a stereo track (or 5.1 or whatever). If you do it with audio track you just need to be in "I" mode while mixing, switch to record when you make the stem.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:54 AM

So, Sub Mix, the total mix, I got it. However, I'm trying to think of it, for each individual groups. Say, drums, guitars, vox, etc. Just bounce and record them to individual audio tracks? That's it? Because doing this, need to do it in another step, other than with the Sub Mix. If done like this, why do I need AUX tracks? Unless to route all the tracks, that need to be grouped, to 4,5,etc, aux tracks then bounce them as relevant Audio tracks. Is that correcet?
Thanks
Old 08-04-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlakanas View Post
So, Sub Mix, the total mix, I got it. However, I'm trying to think of it, for each individual groups. Say, drums, guitars, vox, etc. Just bounce and record them to individual audio tracks? That's it? Because doing this, need to do it in another step, other than with the Sub Mix. If done like this, why do I need AUX tracks? Unless to route all the tracks, that need to be grouped, to 4,5,etc, aux tracks then bounce them as relevant Audio tracks. Is that correcet?
Thanks
Skip the AUX tracks. Use AUDIO tracks and set to Input monitoring while you get the mix together(an audio track in Input will act the same as an aux track). Once things sound the way you like, place these AUDIO tracks into record to print your stems. If that feels to complex, then go with my original suggestion: solo everything you need for each stem and use Bounce to Disk. In all cases, make sure to start at the exact same time, so that all stems will be in perfect sync as long as all the files are placed at the same spot(for whoever is going to do the final stage of mix and/or master).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlakanas View Post
... Say, drums, guitars, vox ...
Make a new stereo audio track for drums. Route all individual drum (& drum effects) tracks to this stereo audio track, & put this audio track into "I" mode. Repeat for guitars. Repeat for vox.

Make a fourth new stereo audio track, and hit I. Route outputs of the above three audio tracks (drums guitar vox) to the inputs of this fourth new stereo audio track. This is the mix track.

Tweak mix as desired. When ready, record-ready the above 4 stereo tracks (drums gtr vox & mix) & hit record. You have now recorded 3 stereo stems and a stereo mix in one real-time pass, via record-to-track. Select these 4 stereo files, rename if necessary, and export as interleaved.

(If you also want to say add compression to each stem, then add an additional aux before the audio stem track, add comp on it, route this aux to the audio stem track, in I.)

Do these routings once, and store as a template.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-05-2021, 07:58 AM

Will try. Let you know.

Thanks once again.

Peter