How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 10:58 AM

Default Panning knobs have little audio effect, just visual

Hi,

Still getting my new rig setup, and the current problem is that the pan knobs do not make the audio change sides.

When I turn a pan knob on a mono track all the way left for example, the visual knob turns, and I see the sound meter on the stereo master fader go all left. But the sound is still on both sides. It just isn't as focused on the center anymore, but you can barely hear a change. I would expect all the sound to be on the left and nothing at all on the right. It doesn't matter which side I turn the knob to. Same result. I've tried this with all sorts of track types. It's all the same.

My Superior Drummer 3 plug is also ignoring panning. High hats and ride are not left and right but dead center. So are all toms. The mixer on a default kit shows stuff panned. Nope. All dead center.

I think the default session, when I created it, had the built-in Click II track as mono. Even that does this, going "Out 1-2" with no other effects.

This is true in headphones (they're pushed in all the way, and I've tried two pairs) and my speakers.

The "mono" button on my MBOX Studio is off. I turned it on just to see and nothing changes.

I pulled up the demo song. Same thing happens. The pan knobs appear to be for decoration only.

Tried turning off automations just in case a panning one was overriding it. No change.

What am I missing? Deeply appreciate any input.

SETUP
Mac Studio M1, Ventura
MBox Studio
Old 12-05-2022, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Panning knobs have little audio effect, just visual

The pan knobs are not just for decoration if you see the meter on the stereo master change. Something is amiss between your buss and your output.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:47 PM

As a guess, check the position of the panning for the software returns in the Mbox Studio control app.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-07-2022, 07:58 AM

I had a feeling a factory reset on the Mbox Studio was needed. And that was it. Problem solved.

That said, Avid is downgrade/scorched earth happy. This is the second time in a week they suggested I nuke my computer from Ventura to Monterey and in both cases, this would not have solved the problem.

Part of what gets me on that is that both solutions involved 30 seconds of clicking a few buttons as compared to the huge hours of nuking the computer.

For those wanting to factory reset an Mbox Studio, here is what they said; I'm including the remark about doing the downgrade first, but I would skip that and see what happens:

Once you have downgraded to the macOS Monterey (12.5.1) you may proceed with MBOX Studio factory reset instructions:
NOTE: These process is still not yet tested with incompatible and unqualified operating systems and might resort to hardware issues.
1. Open MBOX Control.
2. Open the "Presets" Pane by clicking on the top menu bar button next to the Avid logo:
3. Navigate to the "Factory" tab in the presets pane.
4. Click on "FACTORY DEFAULT".
5. Press "Load".
6. The unit will restart itself.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarSlinger View Post
I had a feeling a factory reset on the Mbox Studio was needed. And that was it. Problem solved.

That said, Avid is downgrade/scorched earth happy. This is the second time in a week they suggested I nuke my computer from Ventura to Monterey and in both cases, this would not have solved the problem.

Part of what gets me on that is that both solutions involved 30 seconds of clicking a few buttons as compared to the huge hours of nuking the computer.

For those wanting to factory reset an Mbox Studio, here is what they said; I'm including the remark about doing the downgrade first, but I would skip that and see what happens:

Once you have downgraded to the macOS Monterey (12.5.1) you may proceed with MBOX Studio factory reset instructions:NOTE: These process is still not yet tested with incompatible and unqualified operating systems and might resort to hardware issues.
1. Open MBOX Control.
2. Open the "Presets" Pane by clicking on the top menu bar button next to the Avid logo:
3. Navigate to the "Factory" tab in the presets pane.
4. Click on "FACTORY DEFAULT".
5. Press "Load".
6. The unit will restart itself.
That's great that you got it solved (and often one can jump the gun beyond what is a qualified OS and get away with it -- but then again sometimes not )

But "Avid is downgrade/scorched earth happy" ??? why would you think Avid SUPPORT should entertain any fooling around with anything beyond getting back to what they list as qualified ???

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...