Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-18-2020, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Best AAX DSP reverb available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Yeah, but the mixer will still eat up most of your cards in a complex 7.1 session, especially with all those AAX native plugins on auxes. You'll need all your cards to run the mixer unlike a native system where you can just get some voice packs and have actual voice count to play back tracks.

Plus the added waiting on DSP reshuffling and other odd things that only seem to happen on HDX like the infamous lost busses after track imports that I've never seen on native systems. Especially fun on the last round of mix fixes when every quick track import means risking a restart of the HDX3 to get those busses back when the forced DSP reshuffle in the system usage window fails.

But I get it, there's no way around it when you need all those physical outputs for Atmos.

It would be great if owners of HDX could run fully native without losing the ability to feed all those outputs. I'm sure most of them would be really happy if they could skip the HDX engine entirely as an option. They have the cards anyway and paid for them. Why not throw that in as a bonus to keep up with native sessions that come in to the theatre?

Would be great!
I think what is more likely is Avid will eventually give up on the 32 IO limit. They already have with the Dolby Audio Bridge. I think they just don't want to annoy HDX users, and finally admit HDX isn't as powerful as they've been saying all these years.

As for bypassing the DSP, that's already possible in a way, as you can use HDX as your output from the Dolby Renderer as a Core Audio device. They just need to add that option to Pro Tools, although not sure how they'd market that.

"Buy our 'powerful' HDX system and then disable the DSP in Pro Tools"
Old 08-18-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I think what is more likely is Avid will eventually give up on the 32 IO limit. They already have with the Dolby Audio Bridge. I think they just don't want to annoy HDX users, and finally admit HDX isn't as powerful as they've been saying all these years.

As for bypassing the DSP, that's already possible in a way, as you can use HDX as your output from the Dolby Renderer as a Core Audio device. They just need to add that option to Pro Tools, although not sure how they'd market that.

"Buy our 'powerful' HDX system and then disable the DSP in Pro Tools"
If I were mixing on HDX right now, the $300 spent to get Dolby Atmos Production Suite would be worth it just to mix natively on the good I/O!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:09 PM

Adding a mix mode to HDX would really just make it exponentially more powerful if you ask me. Mixing is really only one of its applications, and it has probably always been one the more limited. I can bring my 2013 Mac Pro to its knees trying to track natively, when running even just HDX1 will absolutely waltz it home in comparison.

If anything, I reckon Avid should take a page out of UADs book and create a hybrid native/DSP mix engine that dynamically allocates DSP based on the pathways that will benefit the most. There really in no need to run playback sound through DSP at all.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:24 AM

This thread is almost 10 years old. Reading through it all, I can find the reference to the following plug-ins that utilize AAX DSP:

Avid Revibe

Avid ReverbOne

Avid DVerb

Sonnox (48k only)

Audio Ease Indoor (44.1, 48K only) - used mostly for audio post

Does anyone know of any others?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:04 AM

Metric Halo HaloVerb.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:57 PM

Thanks for that info Bob!
Old 11-17-2022, 03:12 PM

The Sonnox does work at sample rates up to 96kHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
This thread is almost 10 years old. Reading through it all, I can find the reference to the following plug-ins that utilize AAX DSP:

Avid Revibe

Avid ReverbOne

Avid DVerb

Sonnox (48k only)

Audio Ease Indoor (44.1, 48K only) - used mostly for audio post

Does anyone know of any others?