Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2022, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Mbox Studio Coverters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Don't think you're gonna see any new thunderbolt interfaces any time soon.
Stock has run out of the required Intel chips and apparently they're not going ahead wit what was going to replace it. Check the RME Forum.
In order to save everyone else from having to look through the RME forum for that thread:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic...192364#p192364

The UFX+ can no longer be manufactured because Intel ended the production of the required TB chips long ago. We used our stock to continue building UFX+, but stock is gone now.
To answer an expected next question: We were ready to change to a newer chip with TB 3 support (fully developed new digital board), but Intel delayed its shipment (chip crisis) for a long time. Then when the chip was expected to be shipped Intel declared it EOL (end of life). Beginning a production using this chip made no sense anymore. I don't think there will be a new TB audio interface from RME...or anyone else...
Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-21-2022, 10:39 AM

RME writes their own USB drivers, so you won't miss much without Thunderbolt in their interfaces.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-21-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
No idea. This came from someone commenting on the new mBox Studio on YouTube, the comment was "this thing has converters with specs that are 13 years old " or something.
That's not a comment that carries any weight, because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Technics, etc, were all fine for the average user. I'm talking about being a true audio snob LOL...as in, you subscribe to The Absolute Sound, spend a grand on a cartridge, untold amounts on cables, listen through Quads and are running Levinson or Spectral pre amps. Some of those items didn't have the specs that cheap retail store brands did.
...as the last line suggests, those Levinsons were in a different league than the retail store components, despite what hand-picked specs might show. The amps I have in my primary home system are 25 (Krell), 15 (Levinson) and 10 (Pass Labs) years old -- ancient -- and although certain specs might look dull on paper I assure you they sound sublime, and they've reached that age because nothing else has bested them, imo.

Only certain specs carry meaning and even those have limited weight. And a youtube commenter pointing out that "specs are 13 years old" means nothing at all.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:46 PM
Avid

Cool Re: Mbox Studio Coverters???

We're definitely NOT using components from 13 years ago in MBOX Studio.

The mic preamps in MBOX Studio are the same ones we're using in Pro Tools Carbon and S6L so it's is in good company there. There's also quite a bit going on inside the box to make it as full featured and flexible as it is in regards to dialing in your tones, features like the variable impedance circuits and our analog circuitry before and after the ADC/DAC stages. We're not using the same stacked converter design like we do on Pro Tools Carbon, but MBOX Studio is also only a fraction of the cost.

So I can sit here behind my keyboard and tell you all day long how great MBOX Studio sounds (which it does btw), but the real test is really listening to it with your own ears. I will also add that you can have a box with what looks to have unobtanium-level specs on paper but it could also be the most sterile sounding and uninspiring device in the world to one person but maybe not another. At the end of the day we all need to trust our ears to guide us.

I'll close by saying that we had a couple of really amazing days launching MBOX Studio (and Pro Tools Carbon Pre) at AES in NY. The energy in the AVID booth was absolutely incredible! I've personally been at AVID/Digi since '95 and the overwhelming positive response and reactions from people was really something special to witness. This is a special part of the market AVID/Digi really helped to define many years ago and it just feels so perfect to be part of it again.

Please go take an MBOX Studio for a test drive and let us know what you think.

Cheers,
JW
Old 10-21-2022, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Mbox Studio Converters???

See what happens when you use a product name from ~13 years ago
Old 10-21-2022, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the post, JW!
Old 10-21-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
See what happens when you use a product name from ~13 years ago
It definitely invites such things.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
In order to save everyone else from having to look through the RME forum for that thread:

Thanks and apologies for not doing this in the first place.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 10-21-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubz70 View Post

The mic preamps in MBOX Studio are the same ones we're using in Pro Tools Carbon and S6L so it's is in good company there. There's also quite a bit going on inside the box to make it as full featured and flexible as it is in regards to dialing in your tones, features like the variable impedance circuits and our analog circuitry before and after the ADC/DAC stages. We're not using the same stacked converter design like we do on Pro Tools Carbon, but MBOX Studio is also only a fraction of the cost.

So I can sit here behind my keyboard and tell you all day long how great MBOX Studio sounds (which it does btw), but the real test is really listening to it with your own ears. I will also add that you can have a box with what looks to have unobtanium-level specs on paper but it could also be the most sterile sounding and uninspiring device in the world to one person but maybe not another. At the end of the day we all need to trust our ears to guide us.

I'll close by saying that we had a couple of really amazing days launching MBOX Studio (and Pro Tools Carbon Pre) at AES in NY. The energy in the AVID booth was absolutely incredible! I've personally been at AVID/Digi since '95 and the overwhelming positive response and reactions from people was really something special to witness. This is a special part of the market AVID/Digi really helped to define many years ago and it just feels so perfect to be part of it again.

Cheers,
JW
It looks like a very cool box, and definitely hits at that market of new users really well. (been using Avid/Digi since '95. )

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 10-21-2022, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubz70 View Post

Cheers,
JW
Thanks for the clarification. Definitely my next purchase!