Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-13-2022, 09:09 AM

Default Dolby Atmos for Windows, please!

Dear Avid,

Can you please add your Dolby Atmos Suite to Windows?

I've almost completely switched now from Mac to Windows after more than a decade and would hugely appreciate an Implementation on Windows.

Have you worked on it already / are there any plans?

Thanks in advance.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2022, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos for Windows, please!

I've been waiting years...using Nuendo instead. Would much prefer to do it on Pro Tools, as that's what I'm used to, but each time you use another program it gets easier and I guess I probably move over to Nuendo full time eventually, as will most windows users who want atmos because it's not up to Avid and Dolby have said they have no current plans to release DAPS for windows. I don't understand why, it can't be technical because Steinberg and Black Magic both make the renderer work within their daws on Windows.

Last edited by Led; 05-14-2022 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I've been waiting years...using Nuendo instead. Would much prefer to do it on Pro Tools, as that's what I'm used to, but each time you use another program it gets easier and I guess I probably move over to Nuendo full time eventually, as will most windows users who want atmos because it's not up to Avid and Dolby have said they have no current plans to release DAPS for windows. I don't understand why, it can't be technical because Steinberg and Black Magic both make the renderer work within their daws on Windows.
If both of them made it work by themselves, why doesn't Avid create an own solution then?

Old 05-14-2022, 08:04 AM

Dolby's real cinema ATMOS renderer is Windows only.
This isn't due to a technical reason.

How ATMOS came to Pro Tools was really instigated by Dolby (and not Avid.) Meanwhile, Steinberg developed in-house to stay competitive.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Dolby's real cinema ATMOS renderer is Windows only.

This isn't due to a technical reason.

How ATMOS came to Pro Tools was really instigated by Dolby (and not Avid.) Meanwhile, Steinberg developed in-house to stay competitive.
That's what I thought and also read.

Don't understand why they cater so heavily to the Mac crowd still, it must be equal now in terms of user base on Mac and PC, possibly Windows outnumbering Mac by now.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:42 AM

Because in the audio post world the vast majority of big players and enterprise customers are Mac based, and that's what drives the way forward. Probably why Flex is the only one that has the advance post production workflows on sub only... If there was enough cash to be made with Atmos on Windows a way would be found. Until the if/when it happens it seems the only way for Windows users is either Resolve or Nuendo or it's cheaper cousin Cubase, and use AWS for creating MP4 JOC files if you don't want to setup DAPS on a seperate Mac just for offline renders.

Last edited by Led; 05-15-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Because in the audio post world the vast majority of big players and enterprise customers are Mac based, and that's what drives the way forward. Probably why Flex is the only one that has the advance post production workflows on sub only... If there was enough cash to be made with Atmos on Windows a way would be found. Until the if/when it happens it seems the only way for Windows users is either Resolve or Nuendo or it's cheaper cousin Cubase, and use AWS for creating MP4 JOC files if you don't want to setup DAPS on a seperate Mac just for offline renders.
If they don't cater to the majority, which at this point is Windows with PT, then you won't have them use this feature on your DAW, which will include a lot of upcoming talent and they aren't on Mac anymore. Now it's a split rather and one half is being neglected.