How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-19-2022, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 beach freeze occurs constantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddie View Post
Beach ball crash almost resolved: with the help of Avid support analyzing my pro tools logs and mac activity monitor samples, they found issues with Spitfire plugins. I reinstalled them and made the Spitfire app/audio manager run using rosetta. I also changed anything Kontact related to run using rosetta - wherever possible. This made crashes much less frequent. If I jump around too quickly to different locations on the timeline in the edit window, it will still freeze. But at least I can get some work done, as long as I’m careful. I don’t consider this fixed, and this is pretty lame, but thanks for the input from everyone. Btw, I don’t get crashes in the midi window, unlike some other people have noted.
Great! Thanks for letting us know!

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-19-2022, 07:18 PM

FWIW, I updated to OS 12.4 yesterday and have now experienced two full beachball-free days. I almost miss those little guys... I'm trying to think if I'd changed anything else but I don't believe so.

I'm relatively certain that one of yesterday's sessions had quite a lot of Spitfire instruments, the ones with their hosts -- not Kontakt.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:09 PM

I am experiencing the beach ball and PT not responding even with Import Audio functions. What is going on?

Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Designer
Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools HD Accel Version 10.3.8
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 32GB Ram
Old 05-20-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddie View Post
Beach ball crash almost resolved: with the help of Avid support analyzing my pro tools logs and mac activity monitor samples, they found issues with Spitfire plugins. I reinstalled them and made the Spitfire app/audio manager run using rosetta. I also changed anything Kontact related to run using rosetta - wherever possible. This made crashes much less frequent. If I jump around too quickly to different locations on the timeline in the edit window, it will still freeze. But at least I can get some work done, as long as I’m careful. I don’t consider this fixed, and this is pretty lame, but thanks for the input from everyone. Btw, I don’t get crashes in the midi window, unlike some other people have noted.
How did you do that? Just curious. Might be useful if I run into this. Have not loaded Spitfire Instrument VI yet. I"ll check later if that is what you are talking about.

I now realize it does not affect me since I am on an Intel machine still SILLY ME-:). Works fine on the current Mac Pro I will replace later in the year if needed.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS

Last edited by gives; 05-22-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:44 AM

Hi, just wanted to chime in here -- I was having the exact same issue with getting the beachball-until-force-quit intermittently while trying to engage with MIDI clips from the Edit window. I couldn't figure out what was causing it.
I was using Kontakt 5 when this was happening. But yesterday I upgraded to Kontakt 6, and have not had the problem since. (I have Kontakt 6 in "open with Rosetta" mode)
Hope this helps!

Edit: to clarify: I haven't had this problem with sessions where I am only running Kontakt 6. But I still have to walk on eggshells with older sessions where I have a ton of Kontakt 5 instruments up. It seems that if I try to click-and-do-something quickly, the crashing happens much more frequently than if I click and then wait a sec before engaging. (still crashes sometimes even if I'm careful. The more MIDI instruments I have running, the worse it gets)

This is my setup info:
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro, 32 GB RAM, MacOS Monterey v12.3.1
Pro Tools 2022.4.0
UAD Apollo Twin X Quad interface
Old 05-25-2022, 10:28 AM

Good info -- thx!
Old 05-26-2022, 08:41 AM
Development Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebemonster View Post
I was using Kontakt 5 when this was happening. But yesterday I upgraded to Kontakt 6, and have not had the problem since.
I'm really glad this is working for you. I'm afraid that doesn't seem to make a difference on my system. I've gotten clobbered using non-Kontakt VIs as well as simple MIDI files that aren't attached to any instrument. Sometimes clicking on a clip in the edit window is all it takes.

I can add a couple of other considerations. Although you shouldn't assign VIs to an aux track, you can. As long as you have MIDI tracks routed to that instrument it will work. But this does seem to add fragility to the whole thing and increases the number of crashes. I found this in an old session that had been ported over time from DP to Logic to PT. Avid should either close the door on this loophole or make it work in a more robust way.

There's yet another bit of cleanup that doesn't happen. This may be related to the crashing, but PT doesn't clean up after itself when you freeze/unfreeze VI tracks. Until this week I'd never looked in the Rendered Files folder of one session and I found large temporary files going back to 2018! They may have been left in there during crashes, but I'm not sure they all were. When you unfreeze a track (and to be safe, let's say you unfreeze and save), the render file should go away. But I found half a dozen render files for some tracks. This added up to several hundred megabytes of junk that was taking up space on my system.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:20 AM

Well I'm still laying low in 2021.12 waiting for the 2022.4 bloodshed to slow down. I use a lot of MIDI and Spitfire and will hold out until I see green lights on this front. I saw no mention of MIDI bug improvement in 2022.5. Please lettuce know how it goes and thanks.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 05-26-2022, 02:34 PM

I'll need to revise my previous report. Today's session was riddled with beach balls. Lots of VIs. Kontakt, yep, but many others, too. I don't know exactly which is causing it, *if* it's the VIs, but those glorious, free-flowing days have their limits, apparently.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'll need to revise my previous report. Today's session was riddled with beach balls. Lots of VIs. Kontakt, yep, but many others, too. I don't know exactly which is causing it, *if* it's the VIs, but those glorious, free-flowing days have their limits, apparently.
I'm wondering if any of the 2022.5 changes fixed any of this..