Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-14-2020, 05:32 AM

Default Rack rail dilemma

I have been having a horrible time racking a bunch of interfaces and stuff.

I have bags of rack screws and washers, and a bag of those clips that clip onto the rails, and I do not remember ever having a hard time with this kind of thing.

Now all of a sudden the screws are not setting properly and they are all getting stuck, stripped, and every other kind of weird problem.

Anyone got any hints on how to get this back on track? I think the stuff is possessed.

Is there a trick to this that I forgot about?

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 07-15-2020 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Rack rail dilemmad

Make sure the cage nuts and screws are the same thread. As an example, 6mm Metric screws and 1/4”-28 American Screws look almost the same, but they will bind/strip out if you try to thread a mismatched pair together. Same goes for 10-32 (American) and 5mm (metric).

If you have an old box of rack screws/cage nuts you can’t identify, might be easier to just start over with a new set of screws and cage nuts that are known to be matched.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:07 AM

The rest of the world has been waiting for ages that you guys would finally adopt the metric system.

How hard it is to understand you have 100 centimeters in one meter or 1000 meters in one kilometer? Much easier than remembering there are 12 inches in a foot or 1760 yards in a mile. All these fractions of an inch is even more ridiculous; nobody really understands how much is 6/8 of an inch but 19 millimeters makes sense.

Sorry... with that said I am still having a full pint of ale every time I visit London, UK
Old 07-14-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Make sure the cage nuts and screws are the same thread. As an example, 6mm Metric screws and 1/4”-28 American Screws look almost the same, but they will bind/strip out if you try to thread a mismatched pair together. Same goes for 10-32 (American) and 5mm (metric).

If you have an old box of rack screws/cage nuts you can’t identify, might be easier to just start over with a new set of screws and cage nuts that are known to be matched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The rest of the world has been waiting for ages that you guys would finally adopt the metric system.

How hard it is to understand you have 100 centimeters in one meter or 1000 meters in one kilometer? Much easier than remembering there are 12 inches in a foot or 1760 yards in a mile. All these fractions of an inch is even more ridiculous; nobody really understands how much is 6/8 of an inch but 19 millimeters makes sense.

Sorry... with that said I am still having a full pint of ale every time I visit London, UK
hkl,.

I'm actually with you on all that stuff, and I do think their may be some mix up between metric and standard going on. Or maybe the rack rails themselves are funky. Whatever, I just never had this kind of b.s. happen before. I'll keep trying. Maybe everything will work tomorrow,

Best always,

mightyduck
Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 AM

My 2 cents, I hate those cage nuts and only buy rack rail that is threaded. I also keep a tap with the matching thread(10-32 in the US) as that makes repairing stripped holes quick and easy.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-14-2020, 09:27 AM

This is now the 3rd thread you have with the same issues and merging them to one so please dont start a duplicate of this thinking it disappeared. It will be in your other rack thread.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
This is now the 3rd thread you have with the same issues and merging them to one so please dont start a duplicate of this thinking it disappeared. It will be in your other rack thread.
Huh? I think there is only one other rack thread I posted, right? The one about how far apart to space the interfaces in a rack.

They are not the same topic. One is about how much space you need between Avid interfaces and such. And the other is about rack rail weirdness. You understand the difference, right? :)

But, more importantly, where is the 3rd thread you are talking about?

Its not my intention to start a bunch of clone threads. But, honestly, I don't think I did. Moreover, in my thread about distance between interfaces I said to "go ahead and move it wherever you want it because I couldn't decide what would be the best forum".

However you like them, man. Just let me know if you move stuff so I can find it.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 07-15-2020 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:57 PM

We need a rack forum.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
We need a rack forum.

No obscene pics here, pls
Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No obscene pics here, pls
Now I see that you are actually thinking ahead of the game, outside of the box, even!

I'm gonna dive back into the bags of screws and clips and stuff in a few minutes and see if I can figure out what is going on. I'm wondering if it might actually be the rack rails. Hmmmm. I'll need one known good screw, couple known good nuts, and at least one known good rail hole. Maybe some sort of lubrication.

No kidding, I was actually thinking of using some WD-40 since the clips are old and oxidized.

Its a dirty job, but, well, you know...... these expensive toys are not gonna mount themselves.

Best,

mightyduck