Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Installing 10.2 update - reinstall???

I got and installed Pro Tools 10 (PC) a few days ago.
Although pretty well versed with audio software in general, I have not had Pro Tools before, so this is probably a newbie misunderstanding...

I found there was an update (10.2) available, and downloaded the files accordingly. Upon running the 10.2 setup, there was a message box indicating that setup had found a previous version of Pro Tools, and that I had to uninstall it prior to continuing the 10.2 setup.

I think I must have made a wrong turn somewhere because I have installed a LOT of updates to a lot of software and have never had to completely uninstall the current program in order to apply patches or program updates.

Can someone tell me if this is really the way one updates Pro Tools?

Many thanks -
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Installing 10.2 update - reinstall???

If it says to uninstall, uninstall.

It's not a big deal... Just open the uninstaller, and do a clean uninstall. Takes maybe a minute, and your plugins aren't touched. Then, install 10.2.

Easy.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM

2 things make it a big deal. 1-you must uninstall the HD driver too, and 2, you should save a drive image before this, or ANY update or software installation.

BTW, I could be wrong on this, but it seems that updates that are designated x.x.X don't require uninstall-reinstall, while updates that are x.X do. It really depends on what fixes are included.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-10-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 things make it a big deal. 1-you must uninstall the HD driver too, and 2, you should save a drive image before this, or ANY update or software installation.

BTW, I could be wrong on this, but it seems that updates that are designated x.x.X don't require uninstall-reinstall, while updates that are x.X do. It really depends on what fixes are included.
FWIW... I always do a clean uninstall before making any big updates. When I go a full version point, I usually start a brand new OS install. Yes, it takes a bit of time, but man does it reduce the chances for headaches.

After I had troubles the first time I installed PT8 (over 7.4.2), this has become my modus operendi for installation.

Finally... if 10.0.0 is still working fine for you, is there really any particular reason to upgrade to 10.2? Always stop and think before making any major updates. Unless there is a particular feature or bug fix you need, updating can be more trouble than it's worth. If it works, don't fix it!

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 AM

OK, thanks - I appreciate the reponses.

So I believe my take-away from this is:
"Yes, that's normal and what you have to do."

So it was written, so shall it be!

I shall proceed accordingly, stopping short of tossing out my soapbox!

All the best,

-S
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 PM

Angry Re: Installing 10.2 update - reinstall???

Hi everyone....
I recently purchased Pro Tools 9 that came with a FREE upgrade to Pro Tools 10. I kept running into problems and it was recommended by a ProMedia person AND in my Pro Tools handbook that I do a "clean uninstall/ reinstall".

I am on an Imac with 10.6 Snow OS x. I did the re-install and only got Pro-Tools 9 re-installed. I know I don't know everything and am a relative newbie.
I am usually very good at dealing with software, but I have never had an I-lok before and never dealt with upgrades sent via e-mail, etc.

I really thought there would be some sort of warning or explanation if I needed to do something special to reinstall the Protolls 10 upgrade.
I am so frustrated....please help. I hope I am just not understanding something simple. Thanks...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlasmusic View Post
Hi everyone....
I recently purchased Pro Tools 9 that came with a FREE upgrade to Pro Tools 10. I kept running into problems and it was recommended by a ProMedia person AND in my Pro Tools handbook that I do a "clean uninstall/ reinstall".

I am on an Imac with 10.6 Snow OS x. I did the re-install and only got Pro-Tools 9 re-installed. I know I don't know everything and am a relative newbie.
I am usually very good at dealing with software, but I have never had an I-lok before and never dealt with upgrades sent via e-mail, etc.

I really thought there would be some sort of warning or explanation if I needed to do something special to reinstall the Protolls 10 upgrade.
I am so frustrated....please help. I hope I am just not understanding something simple. Thanks...
Welcome to the DUC. You really need to do 2 things here(to get the most out of the DUC). First thing: spend some time reading. Look over ALL the thread titles(to find those that pertain to you and your setup). Watch how people post their questions and what kind of information nets answers. When you have a question that relates strongly to a thread, read thru it all to see if your answer is already there. Start your own thread, in the proper section, with the proper info, and that will get you the best results. Tagging onto someone else's thread is called thread hijacking and usually doesn't get answers. BTW, this section is for Windows users so most of us won't be able to offer advice on dealing with Mac program installs or uninstalls

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave