Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-24-2004, 11:02 PM

Default Studio Projects VTB1 preamp vs ART TPS-II preamp??

I'm still looking for a nice and unexpensive tube preamp. I heard that the Presonus BlueTubes is very noisy. What do you thing about this two??? I'm more oriented to the ART just because it's a two channel preamp. Anybody has experienced this ART tube pre???

Thanks. Again.
Ed.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Studio Projects VTB1 preamp vs ART TPS-II preamp??

Why tube?
Old 06-24-2004, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Studio Projects VTB1 preamp vs ART TPS-II prea

I haven't tried the ART, but I've got the VTB-1. Yes, it's got a tube, but it's not really a tube preamp, and neither are most of the little boxes which say they are tube preamps. They are SS preamps with a tube stage, running at rather low voltage, to get some tube sound.

A propter tube preamp would only have tube stages, and they'd be running at about 200 volts.

Still, the VTB-1 is a useful device. It sounds good with a mic, at low to moderate settings of the tube drive control, and it can be used as an active DI box.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:32 AM

Hi!
I've never tried the VTB1, but I'm receiving the ART DPS2 (TPS with digital outs) next Monday.
If you remind me by email by next week, I can give you my impressions. Reviews looked good to me.

Cheers.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Studio Projects VTB1 preamp vs ART TPS-II prea

Thanks Tele for your answers. I guess the SP VTB-1 is a good choice but It would be better a stereo or dual channel pre. Unfortunately somebody at SP told me via e-mail that the stereo version of their tube pre VTB-2 will not be available until next year and I don't want to wait.

I'm looking for a tube pre because I think is what my recording need to warm the digital signal. I've been using Antares TUBE plugin and I like a lot what this thing does to the vocals and the snares, so I think that a REAL tube pre will be much better. My budget is short but I think I can find something decent. I'll keep my research.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:09 PM

I have a few VTB1s. While it's true that they are not true tube mic pres, they do give you a warmer sound and its adjustable. They seem to be a good inexpensivemic pre, but they arenot rack-mountable. I have used them for micing snares - if you tweak the tube up it can help brighten the snare sound. I haven't had any problems with them either.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:26 PM

Until now the SP pre is the winner with the lack of comments about the ART. It would be nice to hear something about it to balance a decision beetween the two, or maybe someone can reccommend another contender...
Old 06-27-2004, 10:00 PM

I have two ART TPS II preamps and I think they work well. The sound is nice and warm and the variable impedence setting is very useful. I also have a DPS II which I like alot too. It has inserts and digital out. The compression on both units is useful. I run the output of the two TPS II's and two older ART dual MP's through the Alesis AI3. I can't say which is better, but I have been happy with the ART.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I have two ART TPS II preamps and I think they work well. The sound is nice and warm and the variable impedence setting is very useful. I also have a DPS II which I like alot too. It has inserts and digital out. The compression on both units is useful. I run the output of the two TPS II's and two older ART dual MP's through the Alesis AI3. I can't say which is better, but I have been happy with the ART.
Hey what about noise?? how quiet is this preamp. I ask because I read that it was very noisey. My intention is to have two more preamp type to choose. I have a tascam digital mixer TMD1000 that has 4 preamps and the digi 001 with two. They are kind the same to me, maybe the digi pres a little better so I want to have a tube pre for vocals and acoustic sources. How good are the ART's you have handling this kind of material?

Thanks. again