Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Default DeckLink HD Extreme 3D ... Does it need reference with HDX rig??

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I have a HDX rig with Sync HD running loop sync to my IO; and I have a DeckLink HD Extreme 3D.
I have got serious sync issues. Every time I play I get a different lag/stutter or poor playback.

Does the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D need reference? What kind of reference does it need?
System is Mac Pro 5.1, plenty of RAM, OSX 10.10.3. Running PT 11.3.

How can fix this? Please help!

Matt
Old 08-26-2016, 08:08 AM

Default Re: DeckLink HD Extreme 3D ... Does it need reference with HDX rig??

You will most likely need a tri level generator color sync unit that runs to the sync HD and your deck link that is set to the frame rate that matches your video. This keeps your video and the audio locked frame accurate especially during editing in pro tools or media composer with your video card. I use the relatively inexspensive Aja gen 10 but there are others out there depending on you preference of brand. Other more knowledgeable than myself can expound on this but that's what I do.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 AM

Hi,

I've got a AJA Gen 10 piping sync to my sync HD And deck link. The deck link never shows reference.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:26 AM

Then it sounds like something is amiss. Have you tried basic troubleshooting like switching bnc cables in case you have a bad one, make sure going to the video reference in, frame rate set correctly on the Aja and to HD and not SD and all those things? I'm not familiar with where you can validate sync lock in the Decklink since I use an Avid Mojo DX. Are you not seeing lock in the software for your video card or is there a light that confirms lock on the Decklink card on the back of your computer? These are just things off the top of my head you may have already checked.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:35 AM

Yes, the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D needs reference. It needs the right HD format reference. There are toggle switches on the Gen 10. Print out the key to them from the manual and paste it near the unit. Match the Gen 10 switches to the format of the Video.

Then, as was suggested, pull all cables and re-seat them checking to make sure that the routing of them is correct.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-07-2016, 12:51 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. Got a new gen10 and its behaving really well. However are you both switching the gen10 for every time you have a different project frame rate?
I deal with a lot of promos at the moment for online, US & UK. I'm having to get up and change the gen10 every time I change sessions.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:38 AM

Yes you have to set it on the correct frame rate each time. Not that big of a deal to me though.