Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-26-2014, 05:53 PM

Default MBox 2 / Windows 7 Recognition Issue?

I posted this in the wrong section earlier, I apologize admin, but I'm new. Reposting in this section.

I bought my Mbox 2 second hand from a friend that has a home studio. The unit was working fine when it was removed and I came into ownership. I have Windows 7 64-bit. The software to run with the hardware is Pro Tools 8 LE.

My issue is the Mbox 2 being recognized by Windows 7. When plugged in via USB all of the lights work (ie. mono, 48v, mic, di) but the USB light to show that it's being powered is not lighting up. I've done a lot of research online and I've tried everything I could find as far as the updated drivers for both the mbox and pro tools and still the light refuses to come on and Pro Tools won't allow me to start up without it recognizing the hardware. Because the lights come on I've came to the conclusion that it's receiving proper power (USB 3.0) and the USB port works. The unit obviously is working or is powered so the cord powering it has to be good. The only thing that I can't seem to understand is why it won't be recognized by my computer or the program.

I have done fresh installs of both Pro Tools and the drivers again and again to no resolve. I know its a long shot but does anyone have any bit of info that might shed some light on my situation? I'm lost on this one.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:42 AM

Default Re: MBox 2 / Windows 7 Recognition Issue?

This may help, but read it over as there are several steps.
#1-start with a clean slate, so do a complete uninstall of PT or restore from a drive image from BEFORE you first installed it.

#2-get the 8.0.5 updater onto your machine. Download it or have your friend get it for you on a pendrive. In any case, you should have it available(on the desktop would be my suggestion).

#3-run the original installer by exploring the disk(or open the folder), find the Setup.exe file>Right-click on it and choose Run as Administrator.

VERY IMPORTANT step #4-when the installer tells you to connect the Mbox, DON'T. Just click on Okay, let it finish and reboot.

#5-open the updater and right-click on the Setup file and Choose Run as administrator. When the updater tells you to connect the Mbox, DO connect it, wait about 8 seconds, click Okay, let it finish and reboot

#6-have the authorization code handy for the first(hopefully successful) run(the code starts with "DIGI08....."). Note that the code has spaces and lower case letters(after "DIGI") and it must be typed in as displayed.

VERY IMPORTANT-last little detail; when popups show on the screen(and they will) saying "New Hardware Found". ignore them(don't click on them AT ALL and they will go away on their own)

Hope that helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 AM

I followed it all step by step, I began to grow excited that it was working (small boxes within the setup stating it was installing digidesign hardware drivers) but after it was all said and done and I booted I still get the "Unable to locate Digidesign hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Click "OK" when the hardware is ready." prompt.

And on the Mbox 2 itself the USB light is still not on, yet all of the others work.

Perhaps my case is just hopeless?
Old 12-29-2014, 03:47 AM

I noticed you're connecting your MBox to a USB3 port.

Do you have a USB2 port on your machine you can try?

Absent that, do you have (or can you borrow) a powered USB2 hub? A fairly cheap one should be okay, just make sure it's a powered one. Plug the hub into a USB3 port, then plug your MBox into the hub.

A lot of folks try to use USB3 ports to, quite reasonably, take advantage of the improved performance offered by these "latest generation" ports...unfortunately, a lot of USB2 "DAW related" gear, especially older gear, doesn't play well with USB3 ports.

Good luck!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 AM

I have the same issue. I've now tried using pro tools with the MBOX2 on windows vista, 7 and 8 and can't get it to recognize the hardware. I've tried 8.0.3 and the upgrade to 8.0.5 on all three windows versions and on three different computers. I have USB 2 on the current computer running windows 7 and still no luck. I'm really beginning to think the MBOX USB version is a piece of junk.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM

I'll have to try to find someone that has a USB powered hub, I don't believe that this machine has USB 2.0 which I figured was fortunate lol. My laptop does have 2.0 but it didn't seem to make a difference with the MBox on the sysem.

I've noticed in the device manager the mbox was never recognized, not even with an explanation point. Today I went into the device manager and added a legacy hardware device, and found the mbox 2 audio device under sound, video, and game controllers and added it manually. It comes up now with an explanation point and when I try to update the drivers both manually and via online it still says can't operate correctly or something along those lines. I have another rig (computer) that I stopped using because it used to shut down for no reason and I wasn't sure why, I may wipe the hard drive, install a fresh XP and possibly see about it working on there but it's a huge hassle.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemurdock View Post
I'll have to try to find someone that has a USB powered hub, I don't believe that this machine has USB 2.0 which I figured was fortunate lol. My laptop does have 2.0 but it didn't seem to make a difference with the MBox on the sysem.

I've noticed in the device manager the mbox was never recognized, not even with an explanation point. Today I went into the device manager and added a legacy hardware device, and found the mbox 2 audio device under sound, video, and game controllers and added it manually. It comes up now with an explanation point and when I try to update the drivers both manually and via online it still says can't operate correctly or something along those lines. I have another rig (computer) that I stopped using because it used to shut down for no reason and I wasn't sure why, I may wipe the hard drive, install a fresh XP and possibly see about it working on there but it's a huge hassle.
It would be nice to verify that the Mbox actually works before jumping thru lots of hoops

Old 01-02-2015, 02:58 AM

I've tried it on my laptop but it didn't register right away, although I didn't try to install pro tools and so on because I'm not sure how great the system would perform with it. I have, although, ordered a new power supply for my other computer rig and I'm installing a fresh install of XP SP1 so I can try it on there. I assume the Mbox works because lights to engage on the interface; perhaps I'm wrong though?
Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 AM

Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
Its entirely possible that your computer has a non-compatible chipset Pro Tools is a finicky mistress and sometimes some computers are simply a bad match.

Old 12-21-2021, 05:03 AM

I figured it out!

try the beta driver for win7 - it worked first time!

the official release caused the first and only ever blue screen of death for my win7 machine! subsequent attempts, uninstall/reinstall a few times, no blue screen, but no USB light on MBOX2 ditched it and tried the beta driver just in case.... happy days :)