Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-18-2021, 05:20 PM

Default Protools "locks out" all other audio on computer

when I open Pro Tools I am unable to listen to any other audio on my computer -clips, music, etc. is there a setting to fix this?
Old 06-19-2021, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Protools "locks out" all other audio on computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlackner View Post
when I open Pro Tools I am unable to listen to any other audio on my computer -clips, music, etc. is there a setting to fix this?
How about some system info please? If Windows then you'll want to assign systems sounds, etc to an audio card separate from the audio interface you're using for PT. Windows doesn't like to share the audio card amongst applications at the same time.

QAPLA!
Old 06-19-2021, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Protools "locks out" all other audio on computer

What he said^^^ This has been Windows protocol for 99% of us forever. Have an interface for Pro Tools and let everything else playback thru the on-board sound card. Now, I'm sure you want to hear everything thru your studio monitors and there are a couple of ways to do that, depending on your needs and your budget.
#1-the simple and cheap method: buy a small mixer(Behringer, Alto, Alesis, etc for around $50) that has 2 stereo channels. Patch in the outputs of the interface and computer sound card and you're done. Advantage; you can listen to both sources together.
#2-Better but more expensive: add a monitor/source selector(Mackie Big Knob, Presonus Monitor Station 2, Audient Nero, etc; $150-499). Advantage; You can add more sources(iPhone connector, Bluetooth adapter) and more speakers(maybe with a sub) so you can expand your listening options(always good to check mixes on several sets of speakers). A possible added advantage: if your computer has a digital output(mine has optical SPDIF out), using that(if the switcher has the proper inputs) will seriously improve the sonic quality of the computer's sound(the mini-TRS outputs are often a bit noisy and have limited bandwidth due to cheap converters)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 06-19-2021 at 09:33 AM.