Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-30-2022, 12:00 PM

Default Re: You Know You Own Too Many Plugins When....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
I had a brainstorm to make a massive searchable database listing of all plugins which I started here: www.pluginlisting.com but as I started to add plugins I realized the data entry was taking forever.
My goal was to make a platform where you add searchable metadata and get a compete listing of options. For example: "I'm looking for all the fender amp plugins there are from all developers."
I have a folder with subfolders, one for each PT category of PIs, containing screenshots of every plugin I have. I don't use it all the time, but once in a while it can help me choose something that I don't use so often. At least much better than sifting thru the plugin menu.

I created this maybe 20 years ago, when OSX had a Finder view mode (called Front Row? I dont remember) that was really amazing looking with animation and all, and I've since just kept it up to date.

This is how it looks in todays macos:

Skjermbilde 2022-11-30 kl. 20.55.41.jpg

Skjermbilde 2022-11-30 kl. 20.55.49.jpg

Skjermbilde 2022-11-30 kl. 20.56.17.jpg
Old 12-02-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
...you just can't remember them all and you spend way too much time updating them when you're trying to just be creative.

I had a brainstorm to make a massive searchable database listing of all plugins which I started here: www.pluginlisting.com but as I started to add plugins I realized the data entry was taking forever.

My goal was to make a platform where you add searchable metadata and get a compete listing of options. For example: "I'm looking for all the fender amp plugins there are from all developers."

Just don't know how to achieve this project idea but I might just crank through the data entry and see what happens. Cheers!
Would be nice to have a number next to each plugin as to how many tracks I've used it on over the past x time periods. I too have bought plugs that I already owned. Its such a silly addiction.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Over the past 15 years I've not missed Waves once, not in the slightest.

I miss new releases from Massey though. I wish Steve would jump back in the saddle. He wrote great sounding, CPU efficient, inexpensive plugins and backed it all with a smart, customer-friendly business plan. PSP, Kush, Kuassa, FabFilter, Valhalla, and several others have adopted a similar paradigm, but Massey's simplicity always felt like hot apple pie.
I still use Tapehead on quite a few Masters still. However, though it still sounds great it has many contenders for the crown these days. The new kid on the block is a great case in point.

The perfect number of controls. Not too many and neither too few. Glad to have it in the tool box at an affordable price.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-03-2022, 04:21 AM

I have only had the chance to briefly test it, but the Magma BB Tubes is instant gratification! But this is quite off topic…
Old 12-03-2022, 10:25 AM

...you become increasingly frustrated with the UAD site because it won't let you add the plug-in you want to your shopping cart...

...and then realize they're doing you a favor because you already own it!
Old 12-03-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasacmorg View Post
...you become increasingly frustrated with the UAD site because it won't let you add the plug-in you want to your shopping cart...

YES! Absolutely a sign of having too many plugins.
Old 12-04-2022, 05:29 PM

Pluginare quite cheap now.

Waves droped the prices 2-3 years ago and now every other company are doing the same. You can get now a plugin at $49 and it was $199 few years ago. Some company has of cause done the opposite or kept their prices the same like Fabfilter...

2020 is subscrption decade.
lots of plugins
Old 12-05-2022, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghor View Post
Pluginare quite cheap now.

Waves droped the prices 2-3 years ago and now every other company are doing the same. You can get now a plugin at $49 and it was $199 few years ago. Some company has of cause done the opposite or kept their prices the same like Fabfilter...

2020 is subscrption decade.
That is because you used to buy the plugin once and updates were free. At least you knew where you were financially.

We now see people buying the same plugin again, as it is cheaper than renewing their old one.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasacmorg View Post

Using the UAD site is clearly just a sign of having too much expendable money
A friend of mine told me the next generation UAD interfaces would have a credit card slot on the front and 'easy terms for 3X payment'

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 12-05-2022, 08:22 AM

Not a fan of subscriptions in any shape or form, but the UAD Spark offer is hard to refuse, (I signed up) : https://spark.uaudio.com

You can always opt out too.... makes Waves look increasingly expensive, & even harder to justify. Anyone interested in a Mercury + Studio Classics bundle by any chance?!!