How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 01-23-2023, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Bought a Carbon. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
ISince I already owned an Ultimate license and the regular license that came with the Carbon I decided to sell the new Ultimate license. The new value of an Ultimate Perpetual license is $2500!
So yes I sold it and bought more mic pre’s.
Well that makes it sound like I can sell the Ultimate licence that comes with the Carbon. I'd love to just be able to get the information straight from the horse's mouth, but I still haven't heard back from Avid. On a side note, does anyone know how to set the monitor outputs to unity gain? Is unity gain just all the way up? I'm running them into a monitor controller. I can't see any info about this in the manual (though to be fair, I just searched the manual for "unity" and nothing came up).
Old 01-23-2023, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo-baby View Post
Well that makes it sound like I can sell the Ultimate licence that comes with the Carbon.
EDIT: I was wrong. I'll leave Avid to clear this up.

No it doesn't. He said he sold his EXISTING Ultimate license which he already owned.

Last edited by dominicperry; 01-23-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo-baby View Post
On a side note, does anyone know how to set the monitor outputs to unity gain? Is unity gain just all the way up? I'm running them into a monitor controller. I can't see any info about this in the manual (though to be fair, I just searched the manual for "unity" and nothing came up).
Maximum output level is +24dB. Does that sound like unity gain? You wouldn't expect an active output circuit to be at unity gain when the volume control is all the way up.

There is no meter or measure or setting for the output volume control.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
No it doesn't. He said he sold his EXISTING Ultimate license which he already owned.
Nope I sold the Ultimate license Avid’s gave all Carbon users as a bonus. I kept my own Ultimate license and the Protools license that came originally with the Carbon. What I’m not clear on is whether Carbon now only comes with a Single Ultimate license!?
Old 01-23-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Nope I sold the Ultimate license Avid’s gave all Carbon users as a bonus. I kept my own Ultimate license and the Protools license that came originally with the Carbon. What I’m not clear on is whether Carbon now only comes with a Single Ultimate license!?
Apologies.
This is totally inconsistent with what Avid publish in the product pages, but if that's what you did, that's what you did.
I'll shut up and let Avid answer.

Dominic
Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Good to hear I am in the same situation I had a current Upgrade/Support Plan --HD/Ultimate license when I bought my Carbon in Dec 2020 (that came bundled) with Pro Tools (regular) Perpetual/Parachute license. Which is the only PT license tied to the Carbon Hardware . But I let that expire However when Avid decided to stop bundling the Perpetual Parachute license (because it was so confusing and a hassle ) and instead bundle a straight up (no parachute ) Ultimate license with the Carbon , they also retroactively offered an Ultimate License to us Carbon owners who had purchased Carbon prior to that change.

So I am sitting on an unused PT Ultimate License and am curios how you go about selling it ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-23-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:54 AM
Avid

Hey my friends...

1 - Can I register my Carbon without the Activation Card that came with it?

No. Send me a private message with the SN on the bottom and we should be able to recover it though.

2 - What if I already have an existing Pro Tools license?

When you register Carbon, if you have an PT Studio or Ult (the two tiers that support Carbon) active Subscription or Perpetual (still under support), you will receive a notification that the PT Ult Perp activation has been placed into Products Not Yet Downloaded so you can choose how you would like to move forward.

If you want the added features of PT Ult, you can activate it right then n there.

If you want to let your active PT lapse and then activate the Ult, you can do that too.

3 - What do I do when my PT Ult Perp contract lapses?

Ideally whatever you like. You can let it lapse and just use the PT Ult without the plugins or support. You can renew the PT Ult Perp support contract. You can get a new PT Studio Sub if the value of the Perp didnt meet your needs.

4 - Can I sell the PT License that came with Carbon?

No. The Pro Tools license that came with Carbon cannot be separated and sold... the PT Studio Perp Parachute for some of you and the PT Ult Perp license for others.

If you were an early adopter and you received a PTU Perp to ensure you were receiving the same value as current purchases, there is nothing preventing you from parting ways with the license. However we'd of course like it if you used them since they were intended for you.

I THINK that covers most of the confusion here.

m
Professional Audio Systems

For immediate assistance:
Pro Tools & Eucon Surfaces - +1 888-456-3444
Venue Support - +1 978-275-2557

Find out how to create, manage, and edit cases online now HERE
It's fast, easy, and effective!
Old 01-31-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey my friends...

No. Send me a private message with the SN on the bottom and we should be able to recover it though.

When you register Carbon, if you have an PT Studio or Ult (the two tiers that support Carbon) active Subscription or Perpetual (still under support), you will receive a notification that the PT Ult Perp activation has been placed into Products Not Yet Downloaded so you can choose how you would like to move forward.

If you want the added features of PT Ult, you can activate it right then n there.

If you want to let your active PT lapse and then activate the Ult, you can do that too.

Ideally whatever you like. You can let it lapse and just use the PT Ult without the plugins or support. You can renew the PT Ult Perp support contract. You can get a new PT Studio Sub if the value of the Perp didnt meet your needs.

No. The Pro Tools license that came with Carbon cannot be separated and sold... the PT Studio Perp Parachute for some of you and the PT Ult Perp license for others.

If you were an early adopter and you received a PTU Perp to ensure you were receiving the same value as current purchases, there is nothing preventing you from parting ways with the license. However we'd of course like it if you used them since they were intended for you.

m
Sort of but lets try clarify a bit further ..

Because I think I stated something not quite true (that the original Perp/Parachute license is the "only license" tied to the Carbon unit )

#1 So both the original bundled Perp/Parachute AND the current bundled PT Ultimate license are in fact tied to the specific Carbon HW Unit and cannot be sold separately

# 3 But if you have an additional PT Ultimate license in your Products Not Yet Downloaded (unactivated)
(as in the case of early purchasers who did not get the bundled Carbon with PT Ultimate ) That license is not tied to the Carbon unit and can be sold separately

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 01-31-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Hey my friends...

m
Thanks for the clarification Mark. It’s pretty much what I thought. Except for the uncertainty of the original perpetual parachute Studio license. Will it be discontinued, leaving original owners left out of staying up to date? Accept for your mention on here of the specific product needed to keep it, it can’t be found anywhere on the Avid website or web shop.
Every major reseller has no clue what’s what either.