Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2002, 05:19 PM

Default Digioo2 and my HP Lap-Top report

A good friend of mine just picked up a Digi002 a couple of days ago. He has up until now been a Mac user. He was in the decision making process on PC / Mac / Desk top / Lap top....

So as a test, we set up the Digi002 on my HP lap top ( HP Pavilion xt395 )that I got at the Cosco up the street. It's a 2.2 Ghz P4 with a gig of DDR and a 60 gig hard-drive...
Well, we were both pretty impressed with the results. With out doing any performance tweeks to the lap-top other than setting PTs CPU usage to 85% we got 25 tracks on the Davec. The hardware all worked just fine and there were no crashes... It was real impressive.

So... we uninstalled everything and he headed up to the local Cosco up the road and picked up the same HP today for himself.

The only down side is that now I'm thinking of selling all of my extra gear now on e-bay so that I can get my self a Digi002!

These new lap-tops are just killer. I may just dump out of my desk-tops and convert to all lap-tops!

Anyhow. I just wanted to share our findings with everyone here on the DUC.
Take care
Old 11-15-2002, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Digioo2 and my HP Lap-Top report

That great news about the PC vs Mac. What was his Mac DaveC count?

I must say, 25 tracks does sound a little low to me, but I guess for a laptop, that is superb? right?
=-CP.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:37 PM

He never bothered trying out his Mac. It's a G3, so it is not a real fast performer.
I bet that we could have eeked a few more tracks out of the deal if we tried hard enough. Even though my desk-top out performs the lap-top, I just can't stop thinking how far things have come.
A Digi002, A lap-top, Waves Platinum, Some good powered monitors, Some great mics - and you have some unreal tools to work with. It's amazing!
Old 11-15-2002, 05:42 PM

Very True! It would be great for live gigs I would imagine too.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:30 PM

It sure is. It's a great way to record live stuff - and I didn't even know until he told me, that the Digioo2 board will serve as a live mixer with built in effects, snap shot mixes.... Real versatile!
I wonder if two or more can be linked together via the extra Firewire port for more mixing and editing flexibility?
It's a great unit.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:00 PM

man......Card base systems may be in trouble...... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 11-15-2002, 10:06 PM

The main reason that I was so supprised by the results that we got is that typicaly, HP systems have had a bad rap here on the DUC. Maybe their lap-tops don't have the same problems with the Digi stuff - or maybe the Digioo2 systems do ok with HP???
Old 11-16-2002, 01:49 AM

I think it has to do with the connection to firewire/usb versus PCI-card.When you put a pci-card in your system, it becomes part of your computer with all the dma stuff, irq's etc. When you attach something with firewire/usb/serial/paralel it will not become part of your computer. Everything is linked in a software sense...so if the software and drivers are written properly, i think it will work on any computer with the right interface...

Bastiaan
Old 11-16-2002, 03:37 AM

That makes sence.
I wish that the M-Box was connected via firewire and had a few more ins and outs. That would make for a real cool lap-top set up.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:09 AM

Digi rep at the LE Tour Thur night, stated "M box was designed when firewire was vitually non- exsistint in the PC community." Funny, because M box has only up till now been availible for Mac.
[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]