Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2000, 08:06 PM

Default live performance

Would it be reasonable to use digi 001 for a live performance? If your computer processor is fast enough for what you need, and your system is stable enough (and you are willing to take the chance), would it be reasonable to say it would work? You could even run it through a mixer so you could have physical faders, and the box would be used primarily for fx.?
Old 12-01-2000, 04:24 PM

Default Re: live performance

greetings...

here's what i did with one of our Band & Chorus Live concerts: we have about 20 - 24 vocalists with wireless individual microphones on stage, as well as an 80 plus piece band...48 channel FOH console. i took the direct outputs from my mixing console from the SATB (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass) and put them into Tracks 1-4. i had two overhead mics in the front about 20 ft. up in the air and about 8 ft. apart. 12 ft. back from the conductor hanging from the lighting grid; these were on tracks 5-6; off of the chanel direct ouputs(recording only). i had a drum line microphone placed in the back of the Concert Band near the Kettle Drums but more like off-center stage - left (house right) up about 15 ft...this was track 7 off of the chanel direct ouput(recording only). i also have an anouncer (MC) and music for the Chorus to sing to off of CD. i had to compromise the stereo sound and put the music into mono (on the recording only) through it's own group (for the recording only)...this was track 8 on the Digi001. this recording was intended only for educational and training purposes for the Band & Chorus, not for reproduction...although after editing the concert it ended up sounding pretty good for what little micing i did. for our x-mas concerts we use our PT MIX PLUS system to have better control overall.

if you're micing a small band you can ues the same concept. group all the drum mics on two chanels on your console, then into PTLE. Keys, Guitar, Tambarine, Vocalists, Backups...whatever you've got you can put into a group and record off of the direct group or channel ouputs; or a matrix or what-have-you.

the main thing however is to MAKE SURE you have an outstanding mix when you record from a group. i.e. when you mix a live concert with SATB and 24 vocalists at once, the two voices that stick out from the same group will be there forever! lol...so practice makes perfect.

oh, and if i didn't already mention this...when you take the direct outs from a console you'll bypass the EFX of the live concert. either put them back in or take up a track with the effects of the live concert, that way you can put as much or as little as you'll need for the studio.

hope this helps.

------------------
Сgî‡å£ Wàvèƒôrm