Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 05:07 PM

Default 9.2.1 possible disk corruption

From Macintouch.com:

"I have had some bad experience with Mac OS 9.2.1 and I was wondering if other readers are seeing the same problem. About a week after I upgraded from Mac OS 9.1 to 9.2.1 my blue G3 suddenly crashed in the middle of browsing the web. After a restart the system started complaining that it couldn't read the system folder. Opening the boot volume lead to a series of dozens of messages that the volume was corrupt. I rebooted with my Mac OS 9.1 CD and the corrupt volume didn't even mount. Disk First aid said it couldn't repair the drive. Norton Utilities found several major erros in the B-Tree and corrected them (at least it said so). I backed up all my data, reformatted the drive and installed Mac OS 9.1 and the 9.2.1 update. Two weeks later, exactly the same happened. I did an immediate reset and on reboot Disk First Aid repaired the drive successfully. On an Apple discussion board I hear that other people are seeing spontaneous disk corruption since they upgraded to 9.2.1. I think this is a big problem, as many people will upgrade to 9.2.1 when [installing] Mac OS X 10.1. So I wonder if Apple is aware of the problem.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:02 PM

Default Re: 9.2.1 possible disk corruption

I have had the same issue but traced it to a GXGraphics Extension that was freezing the system at boot. Some sort of conflict with iTunes 1.1. Forced me to reboot but the Check Disk never kicked off after this. Disk FA could not fix it. I had to use TechTool Deluxe to fix it.
Have not heard anywhere else that anybody was having the same problems.

What browser and version were you using at the time? I was doing the same thing when my messages started popping up. Netscape 4.78 was what I was using. One of the messages said a second partition was corrupt as well, one that I was not booted to but has 9.2.1 installed on it.
Old 10-08-2001, 07:03 PM

I threw out some lines in another forum.......I'll see if we get any bites with regard to this problem.

If there are any known problems, I'll know in a few hours.....
Old 10-09-2001, 01:01 PM

I think I might have read that 9.2.1 was only for G4s - I have 9.2.1 on a G4 733 no OSX and had no problems. I think the MAC site has info.

Regards
Peter