Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Default CoreAudio Manager/Standalone Driver for Tiger, Kernel Panic when launched

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and have done some extensive research for the past week to try and solve my issue. I haven't really found anything close to the problem I'm having so I hope that I have better luck here. I am in the market for a interface, so I am testing out interfaces on my Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Processor, 6 gb Ram, 43 gb of internal HD space). I have a Digi 002 on loan from a friend. I am currently using Garageband to record, so I downloaded the standalone driver from here

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/coreaudio/tiger/

It installs fine, but once I try to launch it, it causes a kernel panic every time. I have tried downloading the driver from the one other link I could find... I tried clearing more drive space... Tried installing it on another drive... All to no avail. I really want to try out the drive but can't get this driver to work. Can someone please help?!! Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM

Default Re: CoreAudio Manager/Standalone Driver for Tiger, Kernel Panic when launched

Hi Dustin,

If your in the market for a new interface then can i recommend you take a pass on the 002, especially if you are not going to use Pro Tools.

A few reasons:

1) The audio world is changing, firewire is not going to be around much longer, the new retina MBP's have already ditched FW.

2) Digi Core Audio drivers, as you have experienced, are inherently terrible.

3) The 002 is no longer supported so your going to be stuck in terms of future software updates.

If budget is an issue and you want an older interface with stability then i'd say go MOTU, they're drivers are solid and they have a history of supporting products many years after they go out of production. There current models which are cheap are hybrid USB and FW offering a bit of future proofing.

RME are an obvious choice but a little harder on the wallet.

I still have, and use weekly an 002R which i love, it doesn't sound great but works well with Pro Tools. Anything outside the Pro Tools environment via core audo is nothing short of pain.

Just my two pence.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 PM

Default Re: CoreAudio Manager/Standalone Driver for Tiger, Kernel Panic when launched

Dougfather,
Thanks for your reply. My experience with this driver is definitely shaping up that way. My problem right now is a tight budget vs. a need to finish recordings. I was using the analog input on the Mac Pro (old school, I know) but that has started to short out. So I have been hunting for an interface for the long run but need to continue work on recordings right now. Seemed like good luck that my friend came along to loan me the 002. But, as you have pointed out, with my set up it is becoming a pain. Hopefully someone else has had this issue and knows of a fix. Regardless, I appreciate your recommendations and will definitely be checking out the MOTU boxes. The Mac Pro is my main desktop system and the reason I record on it. But I also have new Macbook Pro that I may migrate to. Especially if I go with a newer interface. Do you have any experience with the new MOTU boxes on newer vs. older Macs? My Mac Pro isn't ancient, but as you pointed out with the introduction of the new Retina Macbooks, a lot of what is featured on even 5 year old computers is becoming obsolete.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
1) The audio world is changing, firewire is not going to be around much longer, the new retina MBP's have already ditched FW.
What on earth are Prism Orpheus and UAD doing then with their interfaces?

An Orpheus could be redundant soon.....?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
What on earth are Prism Orpheus and UAD doing then with their interfaces?

An Orpheus could be redundant soon.....?
Well on a Macbook Pro....yes.

It's happened on the Macbook (maybe for other reasons) and now the Macbook Pros.

UA, notice how Apollo has an optional thunderbolt card option $$$$$$$
Old 06-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Coffey View Post
Dougfather,
Thanks for your reply. My experience with this driver is definitely shaping up that way. My problem right now is a tight budget vs. a need to finish recordings. I was using the analog input on the Mac Pro (old school, I know) but that has started to short out. So I have been hunting for an interface for the long run but need to continue work on recordings right now. Seemed like good luck that my friend came along to loan me the 002. But, as you have pointed out, with my set up it is becoming a pain. Hopefully someone else has had this issue and knows of a fix. Regardless, I appreciate your recommendations and will definitely be checking out the MOTU boxes. The Mac Pro is my main desktop system and the reason I record on it. But I also have new Macbook Pro that I may migrate to. Especially if I go with a newer interface. Do you have any experience with the new MOTU boxes on newer vs. older Macs? My Mac Pro isn't ancient, but as you pointed out with the introduction of the new Retina Macbooks, a lot of what is featured on even 5 year old computers is becoming obsolete.
Dustin, i have a Powermac G5 which i've ran Logic and Peak on, and an intel Macbook Pro which i run Pro Tools both using the 828mk3.

One word = Bulletproof!

Seriously, when you experience good drivers going back to the Digi core audio yields nothing more than a facepalm every time.