Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-08-2008, 07:42 AM

Default Click noise in audio regions? why?

I'm finishing a vocal projet, accapella but I hear sometimes clicks
in the audio regions. I try to use the pencil tool to
correct the samples but I think I;m not doing it right
because I still hear those clicks.
Any advice? why is that happening?

Than you in advance.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:12 AM

Default Re: Click noise in audio regions? why?

Where do these clicks occur? Are they happening in the middle of regions or on the transitions between regions?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 AM

Could be any number of things.

1. Top of my list of things to explore would be poor edits. If the 'clicks' are within a region (as opposed to the junction of 2 regions), are the affected regions a consolidation of a number of smaller regions? If so, do you know if cross fades were used?

2. Could be 'clipping' if the Mic, Pre-Amp or A/D stages have been overloaded at the recording stage.

3. Could be a clocking issue if digital gear has been connected without proper synchronization.

4. Recorded interference e.g Mobile Phones, headphone bleed from a click track, power supply problems etc.

If you can supply more information and, maybe, a link to an audio example, we may be able to offer more meaningful advice.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-08-2008, 09:29 AM

As Phil says, without hearing the sounds you're hearing it's hard to say what might be causing them, but I'll just throw in one more possibility: they're sounds that actually happened in the room when the tracks were recorded. People's voices can make all kinds of funny sounds, as can things in pockets, shoes, etc.

Not to discount any of the other possibilities, but I can think of several instances where I've tried to track down funny clicks and pops only to realize it was a lip smack, throat gurgle, a sound from a violin (oh the strange sounds violins make...), or some other acoustic source that was part of the performance.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM

Okay, I had the same problem and this solution worked for me, maybe it will for you, let's see:

1) SETUP

2) PLAYBACK ENGINE

3) RTAS ENGINE - Untick box that says 'ignore Errors during playback/record (may cause clicks and pops)

Problem Solved.

Took me ages to sort that one out myself.

JazzyJ