Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Default No Instrument Insert on Instrument tracks

Hi,

I am fairly new to PT. I have had my own system for about 4 weeks, consisting of:

MacBook Core Duo 2.0Ghz with 512 MB
Pro Tools Academic 7.3
M-Audio Ozone keyboard/interface
Old World Computing external drive.

When I have an instrument track, I cannot access any instrument plugins.

I click the little insert button, then pick multi-channel plug-in, and the next menu over looks like this:

Dynamics >
Reverb >
Delay >
Modulation >
Dither >
Sound Field>
Other >

The books, manuals, and the workstations at school all show an "Instruments" option in this menu, and that's how I have been using instruments. I have tried searching DUC and have not seen this mentioned anywhere. I have Expand! installed with the 1.0.1 upgrade, and I'd like to use it. What am I missing?

Paul in Seattle
Old 02-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: No Instrument Insert on Instrument tracks

You may not have any software instruments properly installed. I had no problem installing xpand but several others seem to have different issues. Did your academic edition come with the ignition pack? That includes lite versions of Reason, Sampletank, BFD and Live which you could install...
Old 02-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
You may not have any software instruments properly installed. I had no problem installing xpand but several others seem to have different issues. Did your academic edition come with the ignition pack? That includes lite versions of Reason, Sampletank, BFD and Live which you could install...
I know I installed Reason and Expand!, and possibly Ableton Live. No EQ option shows up either.

My instructor looked at this and said to reinstall PT. That will be a challenge, I don't have the CD. The package came with a PPC-only version, so I had to download the 7.3 upgrade...probably have to hunt down my authorization code and download all over again. So I'd like it if I can avoid uninstalling and reinstalling.

Come to think of it, maybe the upgrade isn't a complete install. Since I was starting from zero, maybe I didn't get everything.
How could I find out if the "7.3 Amnesty Update" download is a complete install or not?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:45 AM

the PT 7.3 IS a complete installation, I installed 7.3.1 over the top and no problem.., as for the ignition pack, welcome to the nightmare, it becomes a dream when you get the correct updates.., check out protools announcements, answers there. (it had me tearing my hair out but now it is all very sweet and i have only had the mac 2 months, took three-four week of screaming t digi and protools through the wall of my studio before I finally worked it out, been using PC and cubase for years).

sounds like some of your plugins are not Universal, select one at a time and then 'get info' from the finder menu and 'universal' will be next to the name of the plugin if it is, you might find some answers there.

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 03-01-2007, 06:00 AM

I had a similar problem w/ korg legacy collection.

Try opening a stereo/ instrument track.
I was not able to find my instruments while using a mono instrument track.

Once I used a stereo instrument trk. there they were on the drop down.
Prior to that I was only using mono to record audio.

Might work. I dont know if you tried this yet, sometimes the simplest things are the problem.

Best of luck. Bill