Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 AM

Default Importing session data

Hi everybody.

I am working on my first feature film, and I have a question regarding importing session data.

My work flow: I have worked on short sequences from the film, and it is now time to import the sound from the different sequences to a session with the whole film.
Is there a smart way to do this, or is it just importing and then "manually syncing" the sound to the picture?

I am on Pro Tools HD 9
Old 02-15-2012, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Importing session data

Not sure what you mean by "manually syncing". Since you've already worked on the sequences, why would you need to sync again?
Old 02-15-2012, 05:54 AM

I imagine what you have now is many sessions with difference scenes in them. Each scene is probably placed near the beginning of each session. There are different ways to do what is needed. It is common for sound work to begin at the 1 hour point, which is where the first frame of the complete film is placed. As I said, I do not think you have your work this way, yet. There are different ways to accomplish it. I would adjust the Pro Tool sessions for each different scene to start at the whole film's beginning, not just a particular scene, and have silence from the film's beginning until the scene you have composed. You may have to manually copy+paste all tracks of each scene to make that happen. You want each session to begin at the same absolute time location, which is usually a minute or two before the 1 hour mark, with the film's first frame beginning at exactly the 1 hour mark. After doing that for each of your scene sessions, it will be easier to import from each into one long film session. As long as all session timelines begin at the same point, each scene will easily import to the proper place without extra effort. Does that make sense?

As I said there are different ways to accomplish this. Some people would simply import from each scene session into the film session first, to avoid adjusting each scene's session, and then moving everything into the proper location, but I find it safer and easier to move things in each smaller session first.

This is why most of us prefer to work to the finished film from the start, so that we can avoid "conforming" our work to the final film's timeline. Also, most of us work on tracks that are used throughout the film, not a scene-by-scene basis, and rely heavily on automation, so that we are usually working in sessions that cover the entire film, or at minimum each reel of a film.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Hi guys.

Thanks for the reply.

I have got it now. But it is a slow process with little over 40 different scenes to import with 80 - 150 audio tracks each.

But I need more tracks! I try to keep the final session clean and organized, but with only 192 voices... I find it problematic.

I find my DSP overview constantly in the high yellow and red even though I only use a couple of surround reverbs and eq's

Any suggestions how to organize the session?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM

I'm guessing that if you have 80-150 track for each scene that you've got individual tracks for many of your elements. Maybe try slimming things down so that you've only got a handful of Dialogue, FX, Ambience, Music (or whatever else) tracks that contain many regions.

Eg. instead of tracks like Guns, Footsteps, Foley, whatever, condense all those down to as many FX tracks as you need, let's say 10-20 from 50, as long as FX elements don't overlap they can easily share the same track and just have their volume/plug-in parameters automated. This will also help with bussing for M+E mixes, or whatever else you may be asked for later.