Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 04:43 PM

Default sorry to be a pain

Sorry for all theese questions
but is a big step for me moving from pc to mac on a budget!!!!
My question is this, my pc is a 1gig p111 and i have the chance to get a g4 500 at the right price, will I notice a loss of speed.
and are there any probs with g4 500s???
thanx heaps
cheers
larry
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2002, 09:51 PM

Default Re: sorry to be a pain

Me and a freind, both techs, I CCNP and he Microsoft this and that. We both built out our digi systems at the same time. He built a 1.8 Athlon system and I bought a 466 G4 new from Mac Mall. The G4 is so much faster it astonished both of us. I had only had Unix and Windows experiences until this time. I had asked a friend who runs a four room all ProTools facility in Dallas and He made it clear to me that the mac was the way to go. He was very right.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:09 AM

There's alot of people getting pretty amazing amounts of plug-ins with the faster PC motherboards ......... go to the 001 windows forum & check some of the performance survey posts. That said I've been using a G4/500 for the last 2 yrs and it has been an amazingly stable & productive computer for PT and it is certainly no slouch at processing, although the higher end, newer PC's have more juice - understandably so.

But Mac's are just so cool!

Tony
Old 01-31-2002, 05:36 AM

PC or Mac, whatever the megahertz myth is, check this out:
http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/

Old 01-31-2002, 07:40 AM

Vf124......
using an Apple advertisement is a bad way to make a point about Macs.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:41 AM

That Apple crap is only when using Photoshop plugz..and stuff that uses Velocity engine.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:47 AM

Hey Chompers,

It doesn't matter to me what a person uses to make tunes...music is music [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] As for me, I've been using macs since '85. And yep, I really do enjoy digidesign products w/o firewire...strange, huh?

http://www.apple.com/creative/music/ge ar/digidesign.html

...and no, I don't work for apple or digi, I'm just some poor atty who luvs the blues...

Peace

BTW: I own a lot of "apple crap"

Old 04-14-2002, 09:01 PM

I just played that "mhz myth" vid. Funny how they compare the G4 to three pc processors, and not one of them is an AMD XP.
Old 04-14-2002, 11:42 PM

It depends if you want to spend your time fixing or working.I built a pc from the power suply up to use with Protools and Cubase at work.Cubase is fairly stable but Protools crashed constantly!I took the AM III card home and put it in my G3 B&W and I have been amazed with the difference.The Mac just works!!! I get more stuff done at home I ever did on the pc.I still have a coulpe of pc's for downloads and internet ect,but when it comes to making music MAC is the only way to go.
hope this helps,
Stephen.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:01 AM

My brother is a computer tech and has been working on the inside of computers for years. Some years ago I didn't know the difference between the two and used windows quite often. Over the years he showed me the architecture design and the way the PC processor chips were made and what their limitations were and I was astounded that people bought them. The average person either doesn't care or know the difference and since M$ puts so much of their money into advertising most people think that is the way to go. We have both PC's and Macs at my house but we only use the PC for lame little things like changing the code on a Video card to make it work in a Mac. After being on the DUC for a few months I have come to the conclusion that there are so many people who talk about their PC's here that basically know nothing about their machines. It's really sad. I hang out with people who are computer techs and they know the inside out of computers, software and operating systems. The history of Gates and the specs of the PC machine can easily be inspected but most people don't bother to take a few minutes of their time to figure it out and out of arrogance and stupidity claim falsity about Macs because they realize they have a piece of crap computer with a horrible OS (not really an OS, oh and did we forget Bill Gates famous '95 windows quote, we will never need to build another OS again!). There's never been real quality to start with when rip off NEC's were first built and quality was never a serious topic for M$ anyways, just quantity. I see so much ignorance on the other side it's really sad. Mac has always been the innovator and the PC world is always trying to catch up. That's the reality and inside and out nothing is more stable than the Mac.