Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Mbox Pro 3 blinking power light

Hey everyone,

I have an Mbox Pro 3 and just last week it was working fine. Usually I turn it off every night when I am done using it but one day I left it on for an entire day. Then the next day and now for a week every time I turn it on I get a blinking power light and it is not registered by my computer. However it does still recognize the monitors that are connected. I tried reinstalling drivers (Version 1.1.3) but that didn't solve the issue.

I am running Pro Tools 10 of a Macbook Pro
OSX 10.8.2
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram

Someone please help. I am having way too many issues with the Mbox Pro and it is really impeding my workflow.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 blinking power light

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.shashidhar View Post
Hey everyone,

I have an Mbox Pro 3 and just last week it was working fine. Usually I turn it off every night when I am done using it but one day I left it on for an entire day. Then the next day and now for a week every time I turn it on I get a blinking power light and it is not registered by my computer. However it does still recognize the monitors that are connected. I tried reinstalling drivers (Version 1.1.3) but that didn't solve the issue.

I am running Pro Tools 10 of a Macbook Pro
OSX 10.8.2
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB Ram

Someone please help. I am having way too many issues with the Mbox Pro and it is really impeding my workflow.
Hi,

What do you mean by.... "However it does still recognize the monitors that are connected."

Is the Mbox showing in the audio midi setup (AMS) page?

When you go to the setup / playback engine is the Mbox available in the list at the top for audio engine device?

Also try booting pro tools holding the N key to open with no audio engine/interface selected, then try as above in the playback engine to see if you can select the Mbox as the audio device/audio engine.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM

There seems to be something going on with Mbox 3 Pro interfaces. Similar things happened to me and others as documented in this thread.

I had mine go through the dread blinking power light/Hardware device not recognized after a firmware update. Tried reverting back, clean sweep and reinstall of PT, N key startup, etc. Haven't had much luck. Jumped back to my 002R because it works. Just haven't had the time to trouble shoot more.

Check this thread.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=329164

J
Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 AM

I have this same blinking power light issue and mine started just the way your did it just started one day after about two months after purchase. I found that if I open up itunes or any web page that has to play audio and play something my mbox meters flash and the blinking stops and everything works fine.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM

I had the same problem and in the end it was the MBox 3 Pro original firewire cable that was defective. Try changing it.
I posted my case in this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339568
Old 01-09-2015, 06:57 PM

I just had this problem, after trying a new usb cable it started working again. I then switched over to the old cable and gave the box a little tap when the lights started blinking, for some reason this fixed it, I wouldnt generally recommend trying something like that but whats done is done and im recording again.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:38 AM

I have had the blinking light which came on for no reason after working fine for months. I tried everything on this thread and for some reason I had a power supply and a firewire cable connected (it worked that way for ages?????) I unplugged the power cable, unplugged the fire wire, plugged the fire wire back in with NO power cable and guess what...it worked lol.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:17 PM

My Mbox3 just started this blinking thing after I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 in July 2016 just before the free Win 10 upgrade was to end and because it took Avid until the last minute to OK Win 10 with 12.5.2... It still works blinking or not but the blinking is annoying. If I unplug the USB cable and plug it back in the unit "reboots" and stops blinking. It only happens when I first boot the computer up... I've had it for years and it never did this until Win 10... It did not do t on Win 7, same computer... ??? Maybe the way the driver is being loaded differently somehow now?
Old 03-01-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShades View Post
I just had this problem, after trying a new usb cable it started working again. I then switched over to the old cable and gave the box a little tap when the lights started blinking, for some reason this fixed it, I wouldnt generally recommend trying something like that but whats done is done and im recording again.

+1
Same issue, same resolution.
Change your USB cable !