Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: MIDI not loading

Is the unit a normally open or normally closed one ?
Old 03-26-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Is the unit a normally open or normally closed one ?

Will have to check when back in the studio later today. Yamaha FC5 for what it’s worth, but I can’t see on their site if they note that it’s NO or NC.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Avid

I just bought one to test with.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
Yep, uninstall/reinstall fixed it. And then I remembered that the "Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area" box is greyed out unless in PT... annoying. If only I could just configure the hardware.

The MIDI implementation is still rough. It's better than before when it would take multiple rounds of messing around with uninstall/reinstall before it would work, including a "clean install" script that they've fortunately now built into the installer as the "Uninstall" option. But adding programs or changing the configuration in the prefs pane to enable Mackie/MIDI control of another program prompts for a EUCON restart, but that hasn't worked properly in some time... perhaps because the program didn't restart, when I added the new version of Mixbus and deleted the old version from the prefs pane, it buggered the MIDI communications somehow.

Eddie and the team have done wonders with the platform, but I still have a pet peeve or two that have never been fixed, and now with the Artist line EOL'ed, I long for the days of my robust and predictable Command 8. I've never been able to mix with my eyes closed on my Artist Control like I could with my Command 8... just can't trust the hardware, and I feel bad having spent that money on something that has just never worked "properly", never mind all the (sincerely!) wonderful additional features and fixes that have trickled down through the years, from Kyle and now Eddie.

Wait you mean the newest version of Eucon is loading the Eucon MIDI drivers? You did a clean uninstall/install? I was struggling with Eucon versions past 3.6.0 because Euphonix MIDI was greyed out after install. I couldn't use my Artist mix with Studio One because Euphonix MIDI wasn't showing up in Studio One anymore. I had to down grade to 3.6.0 and stay there just so I can use my Artist Mix with Studio One. This will be awesome if Euphonix MIDI is still in the latest versions of Eucon!!!
Old 03-29-2021, 04:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Wait you mean the newest version of Eucon is loading the Eucon MIDI drivers? You did a clean uninstall/install? I was struggling with Eucon versions past 3.6.0 because Euphonix MIDI was greyed out after install. I couldn't use my Artist mix with Studio One because Euphonix MIDI wasn't showing up in Studio One anymore. I had to down grade to 3.6.0 and stay there just so I can use my Artist Mix with Studio One. This will be awesome if Euphonix MIDI is still in the latest versions of Eucon!!!
Yes, we fixed most of the issues with this.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:13 PM

Most? ok ok ok, I'll try it and see what's up.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:42 PM

I just tried the current version of Eucon and Euphonix MIDI is indeed in Audio Midi Setup of macOS but unfortunately My Artist Mix is not working with Studio One. Studio One will not recognize it. If I restart the Eucon app, my artist Mix will correspond track selection/rec arm with Studio One but Fader level and track names do not populate on the Artist Mix. So no, this isn't working. Downgrading back to 3.6.0.

I don't know who is not working with who (Avid > Presonus, Presonus > Avid). I wish Studio One would implement Eucon. My workflow requires Studio One for the production of music and then I stem everything over to Pro Tools to mix. I need the ability to solo/mute and control the faders as I'm composing. Much faster for to me work with the artist mix as opposed to mousing around. Was really hoping the latest version worked because I've been wanting to add the Dock to my setup.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:47 PM

You know you have to drag the app into the EUCON prefs pane in System Preferences too, right? It not enough to just have the MIDI device show up in AMS. You have to allow the program to access it by dragging it straight from Applications into the prefs pane.

Haven’t used Studio One, don’t know if it’s even compatible, but it sounds like maybe you might have skipped that step.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:48 PM

I did that. I had Studio One 5.2 working with Eucon 3.6.0. But yeah I actually deleted it and dragged in back in just to make sure.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:57 PM

Fair enough.

I’ve personally found it buggy since the restart from the prefs pane stopped. It’s been a while, but I think originally it requires a system reboot (maybe v2.x?), then the app needed to restart, and now you still see the prompt saying that EUCON will need to restart but it doesn’t. At least before, even if the EUCON implementation in the app was buggy, the app would still see the MIDI ports. Now the app may or may not see the ports even after properly going through the proper steps.