Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2018, 08:54 PM

Default Man Overboard! (will PT2018 interfere with Logic?)

lol I jumped ship from PT about 2 yrs ago and have been using Logic Pro X (latest) and OS X (latest) with perfect performance.

One thing I always hated about PT was the ongoing will this work with that updates and issues. Tht said I do love PT and am thinking about installing on my current (perfectly working) system.

So the question is....will Pro Tools (latest) conflict with anything on my system (e.g. logic) and will it work flawlessly with any interface?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Man Overboard!

Folks here cannot guess what OS version you are running.

There generally should not be a conflict between LogicX and Pro Tools as long as those apps are supported on the OS version and all plugins are also compatible. Many of us here run both both of those DAWs.

Up the top of every DUC page are links that take you to the product compatibility matrix. *you* need to get used to checking Pro Tools is supported on the macOS version you want to run. And then you need to check all third party plugins and interface drivers are also compatible, for both DAWs. Bookmark the pages on those vendor sites so you can find them easily.

Nobody here can ever promise you that something will work flawlessly, so that is the wrong question to ask. All people can tell you is if the vendors claim to support some combination or if it is working for them. Interfaces are critically dependent on driver support on the OS... you have to pay careful attention to that.

Have a backup/recovery plan before doing stuff so you can recover when software or you screw up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-17-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Man Overboard!

Using only Logic I always run latest everything. I suppose an advantage of having Logic. Whereas was always horrified of upgrades of (like you say.. drivers, os, pt). I hear what you are saying though...guess there is no perfect solution. good to hear many are running both.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Man Overboard!

Oh be careful you can easily burn yourself badly with Logic and third party plugin issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2018, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Man Overboard! (will PT2018 interfere with Logic?)

you could "rent" pro tools for a month and see what happens .. make a bootable backup your system fully before though to be safe ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 AM

I have Logic Pro X (latest) and Pro Tools HD 2018.1 on the same system running Sierra. No Problems. (of course you can't have them open at the same time if you intend for Logic to use the same audio interface as Pro Tools)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
I have Logic Pro X (latest) and Pro Tools HD 2018.1 on the same system running Sierra. No Problems. (of course you can't have them open at the same time if you intend for Logic to use the same audio interface as Pro Tools)
Do they both work with system audio?(Built-In)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Yes. But most folks are going to use them with professional audio interfaces.

How well they will work running at the same time is another issue. Hopefully not what you are asking.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupreGlu View Post
Do they both work with system audio?(Built-In)
Separately, I'm sure but I don't run that way. My HD system runs on HDX and my Logic runs on RME. So in my case, I can have them both open at the same time since they aren't using the same audio interface (and my system sounds also run on the RME.) I also keep Izotope RX6 Adv running out the RME too at the same time.

Basically Pro Tools does not like to share audio interfaces but Logic doesn't care. So as long you don't open Pro Tools while Logic is open, you are fine if Pro Tools' engine is set to the same interface. If you do open Pro Tools while logic is open, Pro Tools will try to grab another interface on the system. Big thing is they are all stable and can work on the same system -- just have to be aware of this.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
same here.. I have cubase 8.5 full, 9.5.10 demo, Logic 10.4, S1 3.5.5 and PT 2018.1 and there are zero conflicts.. In fact, i've even had PT, Cubase and Logic all open at the same time using the same outputs (awesomeness of core audio) and switching between them. All works fine.

I left Logic to go to PT but still have many projects to convert, thousands, so leave it installed for when i have the time. I am actually enjoying using UAD plugins all over the place now and having automation in perfect time, which is impossible to do in Logic on audio tracks and instrument track outputs 1 and 2. Latent plugins cause automation in logic to be shifted by the total amount of latency in that signal path. Been happening for 10 years. I had had enough.

So much for logic's perfect performance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nsjaup2zrs...Delay.mov?dl=0