Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2011, 09:44 AM

Default Mac Mini and PTLE 8

So I am thinking of going Mac as the PC I have been using for a few years now is getting quite long in the tooth. I am kind of over trying to figure out which set of hardware will 'just work' with PTLE and a 002R and all the config and troubleshooting that goes along with it. I would like to just get something and plug it all in (and install software) and have it work, just like that.

Does anyone have experience with the Mac Mini, will I run into any problems with using it as a PTLE system? I intend on using 2 19 inch LCD panels with it for a 2560 x 1024 workspace (would hate to give that up) and some sort of external FW drive for audio storage. The new iMac is nice and all, but I don't need the screen, and a Mac Pro is a bit steep for me right now. If there was something between the iMac and the Mini, that would be a great route, but not happening I guess.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike Pfeifer
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Mac Mini and PTLE 8

Also, one question I forgot to add in:

Will I have any issues with iLok plugin auth's and transferring them to work in OSX? I currently only have auth's for a few Bombfactory plugins on there, but I do use them quite a bit.. would hate to lose them or have to re-buy them.

Thanks,
Mike Pfeifer
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM

The Mac Mini will work great. Keep in mind it doesn't come with monitor, keyboard, or mouse. If you already have those, that's fine, but if you have to buy them, then it might make more sense to get the cheapest Imac. Sounds like you already have the monitors, but you may need an adapter for hookup.

Also note the Mac Minis are due to be updated very soon, so you may want to wait a bit.

As for the Ilok plugins, you just need to download and install from the website. Your licenses are still good.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Awsome! Thanks for the reply!

I figured I would need an adapter or two for the monitors. I also figured that an update was coming soon, but the rumors are looking like the FW port may be replaced by a thunderbolt port, and that might be an issue if there are viable adapters or not.

I am not a 'power user', but mostly just do it as a hobby, so I don't need to run a million plugins or anything.

I wasn't sure if the auth's were platform specific or not, so thanks on clearing that up.

Thanks again,
Mike Pfeifer
Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM

As far as processing power, you should be fine. The cheapest current Mac Mini is the same processor as in my 2007 Imac, and I can do a ton of stuff with mine.

On the new ones, so far they've been leaving the firewire port on, in the case of the new Macbook Pros and Imacs, so I don't know that it will be any different on the Mac Minis. But I can understand not wanting to take the chance.

The only other issue is you may want to increase the ram a little bit. You can get good ram from OWC (macsales.com).

You also may want to consider replacing the hard drive with a 7200 rpm one. From what I understand it's not too difficult. Even though you're not recording on the system drive, I've heard things will just run a little smoother this way.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM

The original mini (ppc G4 1.42gHz) is what got me on the mac bandwagon. Haven't looked back. No doubt the current one would run circles around it performance wise, and it really lasted me a long time. So I absolutely say go for it.

In fact if they do release a new version with an i7 processor option I'll probably snag one, as long as it's PT compatible (as mentioned with a firewire port) and thunderbolt would just be icing on the cake. Considering my current Mac Book Pro (2.4gHz C2D) has enough power for my need the i7 ought to last me a good while.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

I've had a Mac Mini Intel 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo with 8GB Ram and it's been working great. I have 3 external drives hooked up to it. I got it for pretty much the same reason, I already had the monitors and drives and the Mac Pro is way more money. Mine was actually a demo that I got for $650.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:06 AM

Sweet, it looks like it's settled then. I was a little hesitant at first, because on the PC side of things if you bought something that remotely resembled the Mini, you could bet it would not work at all for PT (or other useful things for that matter.)

Thanks guys, you have been a great help!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Smile Re: Mac Mini and PTLE 8

Im on a older imac 07 08 i believe and on pt 8 with a 003 rack 4gb n its been gud to me so far =) so i assume the new mac mini will be perfecto -
Old 05-13-2011, 10:28 PM

The Mac Mini Server is the one to get for audio. It has two 7200 rpm hard drives and the faster processor. You'll have to loose the Server software and install a standard OS 10 and perhaps you'll need to add an external CD/DVD drive.