Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-11-2014, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Shortcuts on German Keyboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandlz View Post
As a workaround (not really satisfying):
Add an English keyboard in Windows regional setting.
Let the language toolbar show up in Windows taskbar.
Start Pro Tools and use the language toolbar to change to English or back to German if desired for text typing.
The prerequisite for this workaround is to have 2 (physical) keyboards, 1 with German, 1 with US layout ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cologne71 View Post
I´m lucky that most - and these are the important ones - of the hotkey matrixs 144 keys work.
The hotkey matrix misses shortcuts, I really would like to have :
copy special (all, pan, plugin), write to all, preview on/off, scrolling options (continuous, none) , solo mode (latch, x-or), ... .
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-11-2014, 10:09 AM

No, you don’t need two keyboards. By changing the keyboard in Windows also a German keyboard will behave like an English one. If you press the “ö” it will write a “;” because this is what’s on the English keyboard at the place of the ö-key.

I looked into the menu and it says Ctrl+/ is Automation write to Current:
On German keyboard with Windows German keyboard setting I usually press Shift+7 to write a /. So I tested Ctrl+Shift+7 but it did not work.
On German keyboard with Windows English keyboard setting you may google for an English keyboard picture if you do not know how to write a /. You will get it by press the -. So Ctrl+- will do the Automation write to current.
I think there are not too many shortcuts using symbols you will not find at the right place on your physical German keyboard, so it should not be too bad.

-Nonsense Start-
For your Hotkey Matrix (I do not have one so I just guess):
There might be a configuration software where you assign an app (Pro Tools) and a Shortcut for each Key. It might help to change Windows keyboard to English while doing this configuration. So choose a key and say it should do Ctrl+- and it should write a Ctrl+/ to your config software and make the Automation write to current back in Pro Tools.

-Nonsense End- (Sorry)

I hope this helps/works for you.
Gandlz

Last edited by gandlz; 10-12-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks Gandlz,
but I do not want to "guess", what is typed, if I press "Ö" on a German keyboard with the language set to English. Actually, I just ordered a second keyboard with English layout, for use with your suggested switching of the language of Windows when using PT.

Write-to-current Ctrl+/ already works with a German keyboard ( / on the numeric key pad ).

"There might be a configuration software where you assign an app (Pro Tools) and a Shortcut for each Key." : Yes, in our dreams , did not find any such programm in the real world; maybe Quickeys, if there is a Win version , and maybe, if it can simulate a mouse click, e.g "right click on fast forward in transport window and choose the second option 'write to all' " , or "move mouse to the automation window and deselect preview".

Edit , personal to Gandzl : Danke fürs Kontaktieren. Ich finde es sinnvoll, Probleme und ihre Lösungen hier in Englisch zu präsentieren, damit alle etwas davon habe.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-12-2014, 11:26 AM

Well, at this time you have to guess. That’s why I called this solution “not really satisfying”.

Ctrl+/ on Numpad: Good info for others using German keyboard layout!

Hotkey Matrix:
Well, this was a lot of nonsense from my side. As I see, this device is dedicated to work only with Pro Tools and has a fixed key layout, so you might not be able to change something in their behavior.
But I think if it works like a keyboard it should perform the right shortcuts when Pro Tools is set to English keyboard layout. However, as I don’t own this device I should not talk more about it as I may confuse others. Sorry.

@Joachim personal: Das ist vollkommen korrekt. Hätten wir extern eine Lösung gefunden, hätte ich diese selbstverständlich hier präsentiert.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
The hotkey matrix misses shortcuts, I really would like to have :
copy special (all, pan, plugin), write to all, preview on/off, scrolling options (continuous, none) , solo mode (latch, x-or), ... .
That's not a real problem! I fixed many of the pre-programmed shortcuts for the german layout of the matrix myself. I exchanged the system-files with Brian Daly from dna musiclabs. Nice guy and outstanding support. They have chosen the shortcuts they use a lot, but that can surely be different for you.
The hotkey matrix comes with the cherry programming tool, that allows to reprogram the keys to your wishes. If you are not afraid of trying this, you won't get any troubles. I had no problems.
If you don't like PT in the future ( Avid starts some strange things right now) you can even change the shortcuts for every software you like. Just print your own icons and that's it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cologne71 View Post
The hotkey matrix comes with the cherry programming tool, that allows to reprogram the keys to your wishes.
Could you please be so kind to test, if you can program one of the matrix keys to "toggle Preview Automation on/off" or to do "write to all" (EDIT : right-click go-to-end button and choose second option) ?
That result would be of very high interest.
The "problem" with those commands is, that no predefined shortcut is available in the PT menus.

Last edited by joachim; 10-13-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 AM

I will have a try! The cherry tool even allows to build some sort of makros and mouseclick-sequences for the menus.

Are there no shurtcuts in the shortcut-manual?

It might take a while for an answer...
Old 10-13-2014, 04:47 AM

Are this functions HD only? I think so!
I´m using PT11 vanilla, so I can´t test your commands, sorry.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 AM

Yes, HD only. But thanks for your effort !
So I send an email to Brian Daly. Will report back his answer.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandlz View Post
-Nonsense Start-
For your Hotkey Matrix (I do not have one so I just guess):
There might be a configuration software where you assign an app (Pro Tools) and a Shortcut for each Key. It might help to change Windows keyboard to English while doing this configuration. So choose a key and say it should do Ctrl+- and it should write a Ctrl+/ to your config software and make the Automation write to current back in Pro Tools.

-Nonsense End- (Sorry)
That is not nonsense. This should be real.