Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Its time to sue digi/avid????

Kudos to tech support commenting on this thread and keeping it real.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Did Erin Brockovich and Forrest Gump have a son?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
No, in plain english it means that there isn't a piece of software out there that doesn't have problems at one time or another, for various reasons.
This could not possibly be more true.

The more experience I have with multiple hosts, the more forgiving I become with respect to software issues.

I find that those without the breadth of experience in this manner are the most likely to complain.

Carey
Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyletendre View Post

The more experience I have with multiple hosts, the more forgiving I become with respect to software issues.

I find that those without the breadth of experience in this manner are the most likely to complain.

Carey

but coreaudio issue is been going on for too long to be ignore...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyletendre View Post

Carey
yeah... everybody have to study automobile engineering before buying a car... if i bought a product for commercial reason then it has to work, i don't wanna be a ßeta tester, its the responsibility of those who are paid to program the software to fix the bug...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Kudos to tech support commenting on this thread and keeping it real.

Carl
if there is no issue with coreaudio manger...

AVID WROTE:

I won't candy coat anything - Core Audio Manager for HD, the original Mbox (not Mbox 2 or 3, which use a completely different and better driver) and 002/003 has it's shortcomings, mainly because we had to use HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) to get it working for HD and on which we based the 002/003 and Mbox drivers (a united architecture at the time - 5-8 years ago - made the most sense). HAL has a number of issues, which we won't get into here.

The problem is that HD doesn't (and likely can't) support a multi-client driver and the 002/003 and Mbox units were never designed to for various reasons.

Also, can you tell me which version of Pro Tools you're using?

Now, as far as the sample rate being greyed out - it's going to be if there are any attached clients. Have you verified that all clients have quit? Have you tried trashing the specific Core Audio preferences per the info in the General Troubleshooting thread?

The best workaround I've seen and which I recommend is just to connec the Mac audio outputs to inputs or Alt inputs on your interface and open up a track in Pro Tools to monitor them. Is there a reason that wouldn't work for you?

Using Core Audio with HD, 002/003 and original Mbox requires specific steps - since it's single client, only one app can use it at a time. If you're in Pro Tools and want to switch to a different app, quit Pro Tools and give it 30-60 seconds to release the hardware, then launch Core Audio Manager and make sure it shows 'Connected' before launching the app you want to play through your hardware. After you're done with that app, quit it and make sure Core Audio Manager does not show any attached clients before quitting Core Audio Manager. Give it 30-60 seconds to release the hardware before launching Pro Tools.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Avid Audio Forums
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 AM

I understand your frustration Baba, but for most of us Pro Tools is an invaluable asset in making music. I had my fair share of problems and niggles. However, compare this to working with ADATs or tape and it is an absolute dream.

Let's not think about useless bottom feeders like lawyers coming anywhere near music and a creative profession.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 AM

"Lieber, Gott, bitte mach einen Vogel aus mir, damit ich von hier weg fliegen kann, weit, weit weg...."
Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 AM

I find this worrying. I thought my issue with system audio was down to using an Mbox2 on a low spec system and it's simply CPU spikes effecting the Core Audio output.

I eventually decided to run the Mac's headphone output through the inputs of the Mbox2 because if I use choose Mbox2 as the system output using System Preferences, all it takes is to be listening to music in iTunes then open a CPU intensive webpage and eventually, without warning, I get random audio spikes and the only solution when this happened was to switch the system output to built-in, unplug the Mbox2, then choosing it again about a minute after plugging it back in.

(I worked this out from trail and error but it seems to be what DIGI recommend too from the reply on an earlier page).
Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
I find this worrying. I thought my issue with system audio was down to using an Mbox2 on a low spec system and it's simply CPU spikes effecting the Core Audio output.

I eventually decided to run the Mac's headphone output through the inputs of the Mbox2 because if I use choose Mbox2 as the system output using System Preferences, all it takes is to be listening to music in iTunes then open a CPU intensive webpage and eventually, without warning, I get random audio spikes and the only solution when this happened was to switch the system output to built-in, unplug the Mbox2, then choosing it again about a minute after plugging it back in.

(I worked this out from trail and error but it seems to be what DIGI recommend too from the reply on an earlier page).
That's not normal for the Mbox 2 and could likely be solved with some troubleshooting.