Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 AM

Default Something funny happened on the way to the Apple forum

So lately I've been looking for a new-er computer to replace my G4...money is tight. The plan was to get a Dual G5 PPC as those are really all I can afford at this time. I was contemplating a Dual-core 2.3GHz....and then I read that Apple might drop support of PPC machines with the next OS: Snow Leopard. So I panicked...now I don't know what to do.
So in an effort to get some more info I posted a "Does anyone know about this...." on the Apple forums. I got a reply about how this shouldn't be discussed on the forum....and then in an email got this:

"Thank you for your interest in Apple products. The Host Team members, like you, are excited to see what kinds of products Apple will release in the future; however speculation or rumors are not allowed under our terms of use. Your recent post, titled "Snow Leopard," was speculative in nature and Apple therefore has removed it from Apple Discussions.

We hope that you enjoy your Apple purchases and we encourage you to keep Apple Discussions in mind if you have questions regarding any Apple product.

Kind regards,

Apple Discussions staff"

I wasn't excited anout future Apple products! Just really, really nervous.

So what's this facism going on here with Apple in not being allowed to even mention this upcoming OS on there forums? It's not like I'm an Apple insider giving away code secrets. It's not the Manhatten Project. I'm not Adrian Veidt trying to fool Dr. Manhatten. Not nuclear physics. Just a question from a guy trying to keep up with this constant pestering problem of Computers and OS support. Are we not allowed to discuss future Digi products here on this form....yeah we are. Did we not blather on about PT8 before it came out...yeah we did(ad nauseum)! I understand that they don't have a forum for it yet as it's not out but merely mentioning it should not make it so it implies it's inflammatory in some way. I just think it's ridiculous. It's a free country to speak freely....except on the Apple forum.
I mean...it's on their site already:http://www.apple.com/macosx/snowleopard/
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Something funny happened on the way to the Apple forum

Not flaming here as I have no problem with Apple(and find your story rather interesting) but for those on a budget, the new intel i7 920 PC's kick butt. My new build kicks sand in the face of the Mac Pro quad I just sold, and does it for $1000. OF course if you just hate Windoze, then what can I say? (XP, not Vista)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 AM

The heavy-handed moderation on the Apple forum is one reason why I don't frequent that place. I suspect they are just trying to keep things from getting out of hand i.e. it's easier to just nuke any thread that has the possibility to bloom into wild speculation than to police individual posts.

Do I agree with that approach? No, but it is their forum.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Yeah, and try pointing out one of the many, many known and documented bugs in Logic Studio on an Apple forum as well. You'll get a nastier email than that. Unless it's a "How do I..." type of question or something praising Apple, they don't often allow it.

You can be assured that the Apple forums are very sanitized.

I know someone who was banned because he tried to summarize a complete list of known Logic bugs in an effort to help prioritize them....it WAS a pretty long list...

You can try www.logicprohelp.com on one of the general questions boards - or even here there are probably some insiders.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:41 AM

I know somebody who works at an Apple store, and they have some pretty strict rules on what they can say too.

Apple is a very image-conscience company. Almost to the point of OCD.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brane View Post
Maybe way beyond OCD?

Digi allows fairly free discussion here and I have huge respect for them. Some times this even brings about features, CS updates etc.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I know somebody who works at an Apple store, and they have some pretty strict rules on what they can say too.
I believe this is Facsim last time I checked.

Quote:
That's not image concious....it's Facism.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
I believe this is Facsim last time I checked.

That's not image concious....it's Facism.
I suggest you look up the definition of fascism before jumping to conclusions. Last time I checked Apple was not anywhere near as powerful as the government.

Like I said I don't really agree with their practices, but I don't have to visit their store or their forum if I don't want to. I think these kind of practices do more damage than good, but I'm not on Apple's board of directors. Maybe we should ask Al Gore what he thinks about this.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM

I've worked for a number of the big computer companies and none of them would allow employees to talk about unreleased products that's SOP in computer world and many other businesses. Fascism no, standard business practice yes.

As for dropping PPC support in Snow Leopard I would say its about time and will benefit Apple and other companies that make OS X software. Having either two development teams or have you team do double duty is a major strain in resources. So supporting Intel only will give Apple more time and resources and I would imagine many companies that make Apple software will start announcing EOL life for PPC versions. You can't keep spending money on old technology forever.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbop View Post

As for dropping PPC support in Snow Leopard I would say its about time and will benefit Apple and other companies that make OS X software. Having either two development teams or have you team do double duty is a major strain in resources. So supporting Intel only will give Apple more time and resources and I would imagine many companies that make Apple software will start announcing EOL life for PPC versions. You can't keep spending money on old technology forever.

Exactly!

I love my PPCs, but I'm waiting for the developers to be free of the PPC albatross before I move to Intel.