Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-28-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

@neilparfitt (the chap that made the video I posted above) kindly measured the rack handles – they're at least 2.5". So that would make the Mac Pro rack just under 19" deep from the front panel (which means its back panel will clear my 480mm rack strip-to-strip).
Old 01-29-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Thanks! Yeah, the adventure continues. I guess I could always use adapters at both the front and back if required. From the front rail to the very back wall I have 660mm (26") to play with – obviously, gotta plug those cables in too.
I had a good adventure yesterday racking my new Mac Pro Rack. I have a bunch of good anvil shock racks and was planning on mounting it above my HD I/Os in my tall rack with wheels - but alas it was only 19” to the rear rails (and I want to be able to put on the rear door if it’s ever necessary). So I went back to my storage, remembering i thought I had one deep one - and I did. However, this rack had no rear rails - so I scavenged some from another rack and had to remove both front and rear rails achieve maximum depth. However it all worked with the rear rails sticking out a bit.

The mounting rails seem to need the full 24”.
I re-mounted my rails in the rack with the sliding rails already screwed in for a precise, and minimum depth fit. Which was a good plan, as I didn’t want to do it twice. I will try to measure these and proved a picture later today.

At first I used regular rack screws instead of the provided ones - which was a mistake as the front of the sliding rack doesn’t latch unless you use Apple’s headless hex screws (but it doesn’t matter in the rear).

I put this deeper rack on top of my taller rack before sliding the Mac Pro into the mounted rails. This bit was tricky as my equipment room/closet isn’t very big, and is shaped funny. Apple recommends using two people to do this - but I managed alone. However, it was not trivial holding up the rack and aligning it by my self at about shoulder height.

I bought a 16-core with base ram and graphics, and a 2Tb Internal. I also added 96gb ram from OWC. Make sure you follow the map when installing the ram - it’s very specific and not necessarily what you might guess.

I may post a picture and measurements later today.

I probably won’t finish the install until next week when I will move the interfaces to the closet, rewrite the old patchbay and add a new patchbay.

- Paul Turpin
Champion St Sound Studios

Last edited by Paul Turpin; 01-29-2020 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Trying to fix updated signature - fixed some typos
Old 01-29-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Turpin View Post
The mounting rails seem to need the full 24”. I re-mounted my rails in the rack with the sliding rails already screwed in for a precise, and minimum depth fit. Which was a good plan, as I didn’t want to do it twice. I will try to measure these and proved a picture later today.

Do you perchance have a photo of the rails? I wonder if they're standard enough to be interchangeable with a shorter, third-party rail...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller View Post
The label on the Avid supplied cable that I'm using says "9180-60004-00 REV .A". Here are some detailed pics.
actually corrected. Im trying this cable and Im not getting power. It does seem to be the right cable though.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
actually corrected. Im trying this cable and Im not getting power. It does seem to be the right cable though.
Strange. It's snug and it was a little tricky to get fully seated, but it most definitely fit and my HDX card passes DigiTest.
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 02-05-2020, 03:10 PM

I believe It is seated. The Mac shows it in slot 5. Unknown multi media device x4 Gen 1. installed the 10.12 driver. Any of the people that have this working want to tell me your slot order? As of now protools nor digi test can see the card

Cmon Avid!! 45 days in.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:20 PM

My single HDX card is in slot 5.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Dweller View Post
My single HDX card is in slot 5.
well then we know its not slot order.
So either not getting power to the card, or the card is dead. Its brand new though so guess warranty is in order but unsure because avid doesn't support these systems. Little Gray area here. (These brand new 30 thousand dollar Mac pro's that they showed months ago with an HDX 6 running). Im sure they'll get around to qualifying their products sometime in 2021.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:40 PM

That's frustrating. Does it look your power connector is seated the same as mine?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1124.jpg (42.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-06-2020, 03:33 AM

I have an HDX3 system, the 3x cards sitting in slots 6-8. I used the Belkin Power Cable Set 1 and used the "PC" power cable that comes with HDX to power the three cards. However I cannot run PT2019.12 as the system doesn't recognize the hardware. I also tried to run DigiTest, but it crashes every time. I have re-installed the HD driver; still the same thing. I will try to take out all three cards and simply try them one-by-one and after all 3x will work individually I will try to pair them in an HDX2 system first and afterwards connect them all - so an HDX3. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips/tricks on how to troubleshoot this?

Oh by the way I have assigned PCIe Bus B to slots 6-8 where the HDX cards are and the rest to PCIe Bus A (graphic card, 2x UAD Octos and one PCIe SSD). So all my PCIe slots are used.

Also the internal USB slot in the MacPro is working just fine; I plugged in my iLok 2nd gen and all is well.