Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 Academic.

I already gave up, but he insists I will not have problems. If it was a regular license I would have take it. Thank you for the clearence. At least now I know what Academic license is. I'll trade my Tascam for Command 8 and a microfon.
Folks are free to check my license anytime. I'll not get involved into illegal operations, because I just don't need to. Regards!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 AM

OK thanks, good on you. And this just reinforces the seller's dishonesty. If they looked at all before reassuring you this was legitimate, they would know they can't sell the license.

Darryl
Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 AM

He knows it's not legit. He just offered to give me the iLok so I can use it. Anyway, I am not taking it.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Might not hurt to try to talk to CSA about it.
I am a faculty member at an accredited college and, according to this page http://www.avid.com/US/resources/Academic-Eligibility I do qualify and can furnish all required documentation. I understand not being able to transfer ownership. However, that page mentions nothing one way or the other about the original faculty purchaser being able to upgrade if, for example, PT 11 was released next month or next year.

It is not just the PT software that is offered at academic discounts; evidently the higher end systems too, and I am considering one of these but that is a huge investment to make with no certainty about whether it can or cannot be upgraded. I would like to ask such a pre-sales question for clarification, but I can find no appropriate contact information at the Avid site. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone from Avid can clarify (or contact me directly)?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Now when I refused to take the iLok with Pro Tools 10 Academic license the guy offered me another iLok with Producer Factory Pro bundle. Are these licenses sellable and do they work with the AAX version of the plugins?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
I am a faculty member at an accredited college and, according to this page http://www.avid.com/US/resources/Academic-Eligibility I do qualify and can furnish all required documentation. I understand not being able to transfer ownership. However, that page mentions nothing one way or the other about the original faculty purchaser being able to upgrade if, for example, PT 11 was released next month or next year.

It is not just the PT software that is offered at academic discounts; evidently the higher end systems too, and I am considering one of these but that is a huge investment to make with no certainty about whether it can or cannot be upgraded. I would like to ask such a pre-sales question for clarification, but I can find no appropriate contact information at the Avid site. Any suggestions? Perhaps someone from Avid can clarify (or contact me directly)?
Your upgrades EG PT10 to PT11 or PT11 to PT12 are free for the 4 year
grace or amnesty period.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahadrums View Post
Now when I refused to take the iLok with Pro Tools 10 Academic license the guy offered me another iLok with Producer Factory Pro bundle. Are these licenses sellable and do they work with the AAX version of the plugins?
They are sellable. Each would have a iLok transfer fee of 25.00. This assumes the iLok is not registered to any ones account. Otherwise you would need the log in info to log into this guys account to transfer them - Along with a credit card number to pay the transfer fees. If the assets are on a unregistered iLok than you can sync that key to your iLok account and do with them what you will. Most of these have been updated to AAX version but not all of them are working with the older "LE" licenses. And so far no comment from Avid on what they intend to do.

EG there were Eleven and ElevenLE assets. When the Eleven Plug was updated to AAX only the HD asset is working. At the moment its not an issue since PT10 supports RTAS. But when PT11 drops then current LE assets will cease to work. Until Avid announces what their intentions are as far as upgrading these licenses I would avoid them. In 6 months or a year they may only be of interest to pre PT11 users - which would have a significant impact on their value.

When Avid upgraded from the Music Production Tool Kit to the Music Production Tool Kit 2 there was a reasonable upgrade of 99.00 (IIRC) and a 19.00 upgrade to the Producer Pack bundle. Hopefully when PT11 drops they will offer something similar.

Seriously....I would walk away from this guy.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Thank you, sunburst79! The problem is that for a long time I am trying to part with my Tascam FW-1884. No one wants to buy it, because even the lowest price is very expensive for them. Now I have the chance to trade it for Command 8 and something else. Of course, I am very cautious and that's why I am asking questions here. I will try every single plugin before I decide to take the iLok. Thanks again! Much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Your upgrades EG PT10 to PT11 or PT11 to PT12 are free for the 4 year
grace or amnesty period.
Hi sunburst79, thanks. The page I linked to that deals with academic eligibility states:

Quote:
Available Academic purchases for individuals
Eligible students and educators may purchase individual “Academic Student” or “Academic Teacher” versions of our software at significant discounts from the online Avid Store or an Avid Authorized Reseller. In addition, Academic Student versions include four years of complimentary upgrades (for Media Composer, Pro Tools, and Sibelius only). Students and educators must provide proof of eligibility (as outlined above) to receive a serial number for their Academic product.
There is evidently a distinction between "student" versions and "educator/teacher" versions. It is not clear if the statement that I highlighted in bold also applies to educators/teachers. Taken literally, the omission implies that it does not. Before I spend thousands on an HD Native or HDX system, I want to be absolutely clear what the policy is.

I am still hoping someone from Avid can clarify or put me in touch with someone who can. There appears to be no official way to contact Avid with pre-sales types of questions such as this through their website.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not expecting free upgrades; I am willing to pay for those. But I want to ensure that I can upgrade should I be willing to pay to do so.

Last edited by DAWgEAR; 02-26-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added last comment