Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-28-2022, 03:04 PM

Default Re: How does PT know that someone else is working w/ my session?

I'm still in the "can't rule anything out" stage so I suppose that's possible. It's three guys in three different cities who are all busy with post sessions, so tough to troubleshoot, but turning off the preference will be enough for now.

I'm wondering, though, if merely having that preference checked would be all that's required for ProTools/Avid to go out to the internet and search for two sessions being worked on at the same time. Maybe we don't need to have one computer remote-connected to another in any other way...

But of course it wouldn't be checking every session from every PT user on the planet, only those in an owner's group. How those are grouped, I don't know. I can say that the two machines involved in this case aren't even registered under the same account.

It's not a big deal that this feature is working since it can be bypassed, I'd just like to know HOW it's working, since both machines aren't connected in an obvious way. Avid must be making the connection behind the scenes.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:24 PM

Default Re: How does PT know that someone else is working w/ my session?

No turning off the option won't help you. That is not how this works. Pro Tools is always looking for lock files in that directory.

Go and actually look in those directory, find the lock file, delete them. That error message just comes from the content in the lock file, so you can always just look in the lock file to tell you who the user was, their computer name, IP and MAC address (it's a partially binary file, just run strings on the file). So you can always triangulate back to who was using the Pro Tools when the session was improperly copied.

One thing these lock files are good for is to have any provisioning or backup programs check for them and warn if they exist/maybe retry what the script was doing etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-28-2022 at 04:43 PM.