Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Facts and Figures

After years of not doing it, I have just checked the views and replies on the longest existing threads to date and my “Facts and Figures” consensus is that the most viewed with the most replies are:

1. I7 Builds-specs and results 2,597,169 views/6493 replies. By Mikhal
2. Let’s hear your latest stuff 1,576,692 views/8628 replies. By Roy Howell
3. Best desktops for Pro Tools LE 1,320,590 views/6126 replies. By Allen Hallada
4. Allenstain octaPC (8 core) 636,390 views/3511 replies. By Shan
5. Los que hablamos español 577,874 views/3601 replies. By Camilo Toledo
6. Best core 2 series desktops 435,874 views/2416 replies. By Sunburst79

5 of the 6th most visited threads are for information about building a computer system.
5 of the 6th threads with the most replies are concerns with computer parts for building a computer system.
1 of the 5 of 6, which is “Los que hablamos español” thread, contains information about computer builds and also anything related to Pro Tools.
9 out 10 of many threads I checked are concerns about technical mishaps and human error.

People have become to technical about the whole thing, and yes I for one want, need and have a great computer and the latest hardware and software. But, have we forgotten about the main thing….
Record the music we or others create?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Facts and Figures

It would be great to just focus on the music but when the hardware system puts up roadblocks; heck - even getting a system running - then one has to become something of a computer geek. And the items you talk about ensue. There have been too many posts here by people who think PT and computers are plug and play like Guitar Hero and don't want to get involved with the technical side but they have to.

If all one wants to do is to just focus on the music but not the tech side then either get someone else to do the recording for you or get a tape deck and have at it (or record into one of those Zoom portable recorders).

QAPLA!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Camilo, recording has always involved a technical side, from having a basic understanding of how things work, to an in-depth knowledge of how to maintain the gear. Too many times I see questions or replies on forums where people say I don't understand computers, or I'm not technically minded. They do not even understand basic terminology such as "sound card" or "interface" or even abbreviations such as OS. I saw one the other day where there was a question on using a Mac, where the OPs response to an answer included the line, "what is an MBP?" People no longer seem to want to educate themselves, and then wonder why they have problems which are beyond their comprehension.
Maybe it's me. I learnt the technical and aesthetic side during 45 years in the recording industry, and I'm still learning.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 02-09-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Camilo, recording has always involved a technical side, from having a basic understanding of how things work, to an in-depth knowledge of how to maintain the gear. Too many times I see questions or replies on forums where people say I don't understand computers, or I'm not technically minded. They do not even understand basic terminology such as "sound card" or "interface" or even abbreviations such as OS. I saw one the other day where there was a question on using a Mac, where the OPs response to an answer included the line, "what is an MBP?" People no longer seem to want to educate themselves, and then wonder why they have problems which are beyond their comprehension.
Maybe it's me. I learnt the technical and aesthetic side during 45 years in the recording industry, and I'm still learning.
No, it's not just you. It irks the living daylights out of me that people don't even want to learn a minimal amount of the tech involved so they can record. Too much the 'I want it all to be pushbutton simple' like selecting recipes on a microwave oven.

Nobody is saying you have to be an Eddie Kramer to work with PT but please at least put in the effort to learn about what you're trying to use. When I do something I want to learn as much as I humanly can about it. When I do that I not only know what the stuff can do but also sometimes figure out how to make whatever I'm using do things it was never designed to do. And once I learn that I pass it along which helps everyone.

QAPLA!
Old 02-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Recoding is an "All encompassing" trade.

Computer tech
Recording engineer
Producer (you know those clients)
Musician
Musical Collaborator

And if it breaks when people are in the room with you, you better have all the answers to fix it.....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Recoding is an "All encompassing" trade.

Computer tech
Recording engineer
Producer (you know those clients)
Musician
Musical Collaborator

And if it breaks when people are in the room with you, you better have all the answers to fix it.....
Or hope that someone in the room knows how to fix it.

Anecdote:
Celtic Woman concert and board jockey was wondering why the recorded sound was crappy & distorted but room sound was loud but okay. Looked at the metering and everything was in the red big time. Suggested turning down the faders into the recording channels and boost the PA if needed.

QAPLA!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Suggested turning down the faders into the recording channels and boost the PA if needed.
That's the advise I've given countless times without even listening to the material. You can see it from the waveforms, if it's too hot you need to find where your volume knob is and turn it on
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM

It was mentioned... "Record" the music we create. After 40 years in the music business, 15 years of Pro Tools and at least 5 computer builds " the demons in the system" are not gone. Gave up and went back to my Tascam 4 track.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM

My solution, which won't work for professionals, is to stick to a good solid setup, keep the PT computer off of the internet (I only enable the network adapter when backing up files to my modern computer's 2TB secondary drive over my network). I don't need or want the latest features or plugins. I just want to be able to power up the computer and record.

I bought my first build from Sweetwater in 2006. Pentium D dual core. They did all of the optimizations. PT 7 LE. A couple of years later upgraded to 7.4 LE and bought the Music Production Tool Kit (sound replacer, mp3 capablility, 48 stereo tracks, beat detective). I think the only plug-in I bought separate was Antares Auto Tune. I did get a bunch of free ones with the Music Production tool kit. Changed out the cpu for a Core 2 Duo a couple of years after that.

Later changed the motherboard and went with a AMD Phenom 2, added a 2TB secondary drive. Of course I had to re-install the OS and everything else, and did all of the optimizations. I create a disk image of my OS drive every so often, so if anything goes haywire, I can restore from the image in 15 minutes or less. I keep the OS drive lean and mean, and don't use this computer for anything else. Added the Behringer in my details so I can now record 16 tracks at a time, which covers basic tracks for a 4 piece band.

I know this won't work for everyone, but over the years I have spent very little time "fixing problems." I wish I could say that about my Tascam TSR-8 that I messed up a couple of years ago changing out the capstan drive belt. I could sync it to my PT rig and record the drum tracks to tape and later dump into PT.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
My solution, which won't work for professionals, is to stick to a good solid setup
Why do you think professionals don't like good solid setup? :)