How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 AM

Default 12.4, I confess...

...to be thoroughly underwhelmed.

Here's the deal/disclosure, I gradually left PT after 12 or so years for other DAWs, that do the same thing, better, differently, or easier.
PT has it all, but it's always been dogged the sluggish audio engine, which has been superseded by miles by newer DAWs.

So I got sent 2 PT sessions this month, I tried to use my PT 8,9,10, but they wouldn't open on my oSX 10.10.5 computer setup. So I plumped for the PT12 month hire. I won't be renewing. I had no choice.

Straightaway it still buffers on playback, same errors on the Mac Pro HD/Laptop/Chassis, same errors my friends get, I do a search here, and read that users of 12 are still getting those errors.... yawn...really really basic stuff.

And, amongst other 'wants', there's still no export all tracks/stems feature.

Almost like I'd never been away...
Old 02-12-2016, 05:19 AM

Default Re: 12.4, I confess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypaul View Post

Here's the deal/disclosure, I gradually left PT after 12 or so years for other DAWs, that do the same thing, better, differently, or easier.
PT has it all, but it's always been dogged the sluggish audio engine, which has been superseded by miles by newer DAWs.

So I got sent 2 PT sessions this month, I tried to use my PT 8,9,10, but they wouldn't open on my oSX 10.10.5 computer setup. So I plumped for the PT12 month hire. I won't be renewing. I had no choice.

Straightaway it still buffers on playback, same errors on the Mac Pro HD/Laptop/Chassis, same errors my friends get, I do a search here, and read that users of 12 are still getting those errors.... yawn...really really basic stuff.

Sucks. I'd not renew as well if I had that experience. Thankfully, I don't.

Are you interested in trouble shooting anything? That's what this forum is all about, right?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Did you miss the offline bounce facility or track / auxiliary commit?

12.4HD is I have to say, the easiest install and most stable version yet, on both OSX Yosemite on a 2011 MacBook Pro and Windows 10 on a 2015 i7 12 core.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 02-12-2016, 07:26 AM

you are right, but .. as drew said .. if we can help you get along better with PT so that when the time arises again you will not need to buy Pro-Convert or some other software to try and work between different DAW's ..

usually it is a Plugin issue when things start to go to Hell .. but i am with you when you say PT is sluggish compared to other DAW's ..

friends that use No 3rd party anything have much better performance from PT .. i was a Digi hardware user for ever .. until they opened it all up with PT9 .. at least we are free of that .. but as you say we still could use more stability ..

so if you would like some help .. you have Drew and others to help ..

cheers john

Quote:

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-12-2016, 08:13 AM

Well, I'm now overwhelmed by the warm remarks!

Thx to Drew Mazurek, 8dB.co.uk, and john1192 for your opening replies.

So I opened one of the 2 sessions. It's audio only, 20 tracks, checker-boarded (it's a compilation), very small amount of fading/crossfades. No elastic. Audio doesn't even run the whole way thru tracks. It's a very very lite session. I'm not running any Avid plugs and there are no 3rd party plugs installed, it's a vanilla install. I'm using a new MacBook Pro. The fastest, 1tb hard drive. And I know about the recommended switch ons and offs and never sleep, etc. (remember, PT have insisted on this for 20 years, so I'm aware).
I get a stop, i can deal with it. There's no client. But my point is it just should not stop so easily, in ANY circumstance.

After a few plays it 'settled down'. So for fun I adjusted a few playback parameters to see what I can get away with. And it was ok, but it should be, shouldn't it?
But It doesn't really matter, because PT does what it always does, namely, that you can have a session that barely registers at 2-3% cpu or HD usage, and it still might stop, now and again.
It did enrage me because I think Avid are lazy, and have not addressed the weakest part of PT. I only needed to syphon off the stems (i bounced offline one by one which was a welcome improvement in 12) and now I'm back to a different DAW.

Overall, I am sure, added up, it's a better PT than ever. But when it does something unwanted, that you only get specifically with PT, I have to wonder...

I am only writing in to the DUC to share this because this does not happen and has not happened to me in about 5 years, which coincidentally was the last time I used PT professionally.

Thx!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:39 PM

Is your laptop using a Fusion drive?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 PM

macbook pro do not have Fusion Drives .. i have only seen these in iMac 's ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-12-2016, 07:55 PM

I don't like Avid all the time, far from, but one must give credit when credit is due. Did you actually try to select your tracks and use bounce? It's a great function and better implemented than I've seen any other DAW do it

br
Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Is your laptop using a Fusion drive?
It's the 1tb (super improved) mega fast top of the range MBP.

However, it doesn't matter how powerful your system is, PT STILL throws up (occasionally) the same (playback) errors it always has.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
I don't like Avid all the time, far from, but one must give credit when credit is due. Did you actually try to select your tracks and use bounce? It's a great function and better implemented than I've seen any other DAW do it

br
There are no DAWs that can't bounce. And implementing it is a no-brainer.

I would like an option (like the other DAWs I now use) to Export All Tracks (effectively Stems), and not have to do it individually. Fairly simple. Been around for years on other DAWs.
If this is now a PT feature and in my 12.4 rush I've missed it, I'd be happy to be told about it.