Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2016, 04:15 AM

Default Monitoring Tracks in Input

So I'm having a problem, and swore I never had it before.

But how do you monitor a audio track's output while it is in "Input" mode ?

Because for me, when I am in situations where a track needs to be in "Input" to let the signal through to record... it cuts the sound out from going out the outputs its assigned to.

Could be wrong, but I swore I remember a "Monitor Input" setting in the preferences or drop down menu somewhere, but looking hard, its not there anymore.

So now I am stuck just blindly recording going by meter levels, but not being able to actually hear the sound until I record, then take out of Input.

Please help - Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------
Exact scenario, (only read if you have time)

So using a Antelope Eclipse for interface on PT 12, there is only 2 assignable outputs and 2 assignable inputs. When I want to track a VI's sound through some outboard gear I usually can send it out the Left monitor out, through the outboard gear, then into the Eclipse's input. And monitor the final signal (outboard treated signal) via the right output. Here is how:

I make sure to have the VI producing the sound panned all the way left and simply coming out the main outs, but only on left side (which is routed to the outboard gear back to the Antelope's input). The track I am recording to has input set to the input the signal is coming back on and most important, its output set to only come out the right main monitor out.

Anyway, I know it is set up right, as I have done this a lot. Also, it is working as in it gets tot he outboard and comes back and gets recorded and once I stop and take it out of Input mode, it plays through the right side monitor only. So this is working.

There is nothing I am doing wrong there. But for some odd reason (and I do not remember having this problem before) I can not listen to the treated signal while the record track is set to Input. BUT if it is not set to Input, the signal doesn't even reach it. So it has to be set to Input.

Never had this problem, I am sure. So what is going on here ? lol What happened to "Monitor Input" ? Or more importantly, what happened to even need it to be set to "Input" ? Record enabled should simply do that, and allow signal to output simultaneously.

Am I missing something ? Did they change something ?
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Monitoring Tracks in Input

Hi,

Do you have low latency-monioring active? The behaviour you're describing should be how it behaves when your in record mode only (without input monitoring)

Br
Old 04-19-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
Hi,

Do you have low latency-monioring active? The behaviour you're describing should be how it behaves when your in record mode only (without input monitoring)

Br
Thanks for the response holler.

Yes, I do have "Low Latency Monitoring" checked. Should I take it off ?
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 04-19-2016, 07:23 AM

Yes, try without!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:54 AM

"Because for me, when I am in situations where a track needs to be in "Input" to let the signal through to record... it cuts the sound out from going out the outputs its assigned to."

Why? By its very nature, Input-Only monitoring will kill the recorded audio in favor of the live input. By turning Input Monitoring OFF, it will automatically switch between the track(audio already recorded) and the live input when you enter record(which is how most of us handle punching in). Am I not understanding your needs, or are you unclear on the 2 modes(Input-Only and auto-Input)? I use Input-Only to rehearse a section, but turn that OFF when its time to actually record. You could also add an AUX track with the same input, and that would allow you to hear your live input all the time, regardless of the audio track's record status

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holler View Post
Yes, try without!
Ok, thanks. Will do once I get to work today. I will report back my findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
"Because for me, when I am in situations where a track needs to be in "Input" to let the signal through to record... it cuts the sound out from going out the outputs its assigned to."

Why? By its very nature, Input-Only monitoring will kill the recorded audio in favor of the live input. By turning Input Monitoring OFF, it will automatically switch between the track(audio already recorded) and the live input when you enter record(which is how most of us handle punching in). Am I not understanding your needs, or are you unclear on the 2 modes(Input-Only and auto-Input)? I use Input-Only to rehearse a section, but turn that OFF when its time to actually record. You could also add an AUX track with the same input, and that would allow you to hear your live input all the time, regardless of the audio track's record status
Lol, well I am very unclear about the 2 modes... yes. haha, But the reason "why" as you ask is because (and sorry if I was not clear in my original post) for some odd reason I can not hear the signal going through the track that is about to be recorded unless I click that green "I" button.

This is in the exact scenario I posted above in the "only read if you got time" section. I know I am doing something a bit unorthodox, sure, but I used to do it all the time with mono tracking without this problem if I ever wanted to run out and back in on 2 channel AD/DA's.

There is nothing recorded to the track, so I do not need to hear that. I want to hear the signal I am about to record as I want to dial in the "mojo" from he outboard gear it's running through.

But it will not even let the signal through the designated track the signal is assigned to unless I click that "I". Issue is, is once I do, yes I finally get the outboard gear signal through that track, but then the output is cut.

Now that you explain exactly what and why the "I" is there, I understand the concept, yes. But I am not even in that situation to need that, so I am curious as to why this is even effecting me this way, and why the "I" becomes a solution to let the signal through ?
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 04-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Ok, thanks. Will do once I get to work today. I will report back my findings.

Lol, well I am very unclear about the 2 modes... yes. haha, But the reason "why" as you ask is because (and sorry if I was not clear in my original post) for some odd reason I can not hear the signal going through the track that is about to be recorded unless I click that green "I" button.

This is in the exact scenario I posted above in the "only read if you got time" section. I know I am doing something a bit unorthodox, sure, but I used to do it all the time with mono tracking without this problem if I ever wanted to run out and back in on 2 channel AD/DA's.

There is nothing recorded to the track, so I do not need to hear that. I want to hear the signal I am about to record as I want to dial in the "mojo" from he outboard gear it's running through.

But it will not even let the signal through the designated track the signal is assigned to unless I click that "I". Issue is, is once I do, yes I finally get the outboard gear signal through that track, but then the output is cut.

Now that you explain exactly what and why the "I" is there, I understand the concept, yes. But I am not even in that situation to need that, so I am curious as to why this is even effecting me this way, and why the "I" becomes a solution to let the signal through ?
Assuming LLM is OFF, its working exactly as it should The "I" means Input and when that button is on, the Input is all you will(and should) hear. With the track in record-ready, you will hear the input with the transport stopped(perfect time for a "check one two" or a strum of the guitar you are about to record). If you go into PLAY, the input is muted in favor of whatever is on the track(if nothing is recorded yet, then silence). If you go into RECORD, you will(or should) hear your input signal Not sure how else to describe it. Its worked fine for me going back to PT6

LLM is something for tracking on a weaker system, but it temporarily kills any plugins or sends on any record-enabled track, so try not to use LLM(if possible). If you MUST use it, be aware of its shortcomings

Old 04-19-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Assuming LLM is OFF, its working exactly as it should The "I" means Input and when that button is on, the Input is all you will(and should) hear. With the track in record-ready, you will hear the input with the transport stopped(perfect time for a "check one two" or a strum of the guitar you are about to record). If you go into PLAY, the input is muted in favor of whatever is on the track(if nothing is recorded yet, then silence). If you go into RECORD, you will(or should) hear your input signal Not sure how else to describe it. Its worked fine for me going back to PT6

LLM is something for tracking on a weaker system, but it temporarily kills any plugins or sends on any record-enabled track, so try not to use LLM(if possible). If you MUST use it, be aware of its shortcomings
Ok, LLM was on. And I was not hearing anything at all. Input or Output. BUT the only time the Input meter would show signal getting to it was if I pressed "I". Either way I would not hear 1 sound from that track until I recorded it and then played back the recording.

When I get back to work in the studio tonight, I will test this with LLM off as holler suggested. I agree, I never had a problem with this either until now. But last time I used PT like this (out one side of monitor back into input and try to monitor out other side of monitor) there was no "I" button. lol It worked fine for this back then with no special setups.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 04-19-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Ok, LLM was on. And I was not hearing anything at all. Input or Output. BUT the only time the Input meter would show signal getting to it was if I pressed "I". Either way I would not hear 1 sound from that track until I recorded it and then played back the recording.

When I get back to work in the studio tonight, I will test this with LLM off as holler suggested. I agree, I never had a problem with this either until now. But last time I used PT like this (out one side of monitor back into input and try to monitor out other side of monitor) there was no "I" button. lol It worked fine for this back then with no special setups.
Aha. I think most of your issue is due to how your 3rd party interface handles monitoring(and each company has their own unique method). Maybe youtube has some videos on your specific interface? I have been on Avid/Digi hardware for a long time and that seems to have a tighter integration. If there are any other Eclipse users, please chime in here. An ounce of experience is worth a ton of my guessing

Old 04-19-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Aha. I think most of your issue is due to how your 3rd party interface handles monitoring(and each company has their own unique method). Maybe youtube has some videos on your specific interface? I have been on Avid/Digi hardware for a long time and that seems to have a tighter integration. If there are any other Eclipse users, please chime in here. An ounce of experience is worth a ton of my guessing
Very good point albee, and I was even speculating that myself. Also thanks for asking fellow Eclipse users to Chime in. Thing is, is the plot thickened when signal was indeed flowing to my hardware piece no problem. So I knew monitor was indeed going out. And as I speculated exactly what you said, it just blew me away when I recorded, and played back the recording, then the track played out the monitor as well (keep in mind to not pull a rookie move I had the signal I want to retrack panned all the way to left (out to hardware), and then what I was trying to monitor was the track it was recording to BUT only out the Right Monitor out. This way no feedback loop).

Hard to explain, but I do this a lot when limited to a 2 channel interface.

Anyway, I am back and going to set it all up again, but try LLM off. Keep you posted.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]